Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Audio split: Analog vs. digital solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

rass5000

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Forum,

I have a mono signal from a microphone (approx 5mV) which I want to direct to either Output A or Output B with a push on a latch switch.
What should I prefer in order to keep simplicity; Analog or Digital solution?
I want to have a relay without the "click-noise" when changing from either A or B. I know there are some relays out there with the purpose of reducing the "click-noise" from an audio signal, but I'm not sure what to choose?

Could someone please help me choose either to go with an analog or digital solution and additionally maybe draw the circuit of such a system.

Thank you in advance.

BR,
Rasmus Holt

Hi,

There are audio analog switches.
For a really clickless "soft" solution you may use a pot.

Look for "pan pot" circuits.

Klaus

microphone (approx 5mV)

When a signal is weak it's common to feed it immediately into a pre-amplifier. Then you have line level, normally 1/2 to 2V amplitude. It's less easily drowned out by noise, hum, clicks, etc.

The pre-amp can be transistor type, or op amp, 100 to 400 voltage gain, bipolar or single supply.

I worked with audio products that switched audio signal sources without any switch-noise by ramping down the signals, switching then ramping up the new signal.

I think ramping down the level of the original audio, switching at zero signals then ramping up the new audio is important to avoid a voltage collision POP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back