Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electric tape fence for horse

Status
Not open for further replies.

nowheat

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm installing an electric tape fence for my horse but it's a new kind. The company sells the old kind which they call "mono-polar" and the new kind, which I have almost all installed, is called bi-polar, it carries lines for the + and the - on the same piece of tape, no ground rod, creating a shock when the horse connects the two with its muzzle or other body part. My problem is that the company does not sell an on-off switch for the fence, and I really need one. I can, obviously, unplug the charger and plug it back in but (1) the charger isn't near the fence and (2) doing that a lot is a bit hard on the old charger.

So I am looking for an outdoor-suitable on-off switch that will work with this new tape. I still have the old tape system and (it seemed logical to me) tried using its simple switch on the + side to turn the fence on and off, and it's a mystery to me why when I put that +-side switch in the off position, the "bi-polar" tape is still charged. But it is. So clearly I need some different kind of on-off switch and none of my google searches have turned it up. What am I looking for? Help please.

Thanks in advance from an otherwise technically-competent person with a mental block against things electrical.

In case it helps, here's a link to the website selling the bipolar product: https://www.horseguardfence.com/shop/cat03.php or search for horse guard fence.

what voltage and current?
peak, not averages, as you want to interrupt a pulse

one place to look is the Grainger catalog
look for a Square D type box with at least a double pole double throw switch.

such as https://www.grainger.com/category/e...witches?attrs=Contact+Form|2PDT&filters=attrs
but there has to be something less expensive and smaller

connect the wires from the charger to the center, connect the fence to one side,
and connect the other side to itself

the the switch will connect the fence to the charger,
OR
the switch will connect the two wires in the fence tape together
that should clear the residual charge.
You might also want to connect this to ground, so if there is any residual charge,
it has somewhere to go

Thanks so much! That was precisely the information I needed to find a DPST "Knife Switch" that will more than do the job. It'll be here Friday, so I won't have to run all the way into the house each time I want to turn the fence on or off. Grateful for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.