Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help in using Arduino or Raspberry pi

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrshell

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am using STONE HMI display (from:http://www.stoneitech.com/) doing developing an open source medical device using a microcontroller (Arduino or Raspberry pi) with attached ECG,etc. circuits. I have not decided yet if I will make it:
1) with Arduino, which means I will have to switch between the circuits manually.
2)with Raspberry pi with LCD touch screen attached to switch between the multiple circuits electronically.
The main goal of this project is developing an open source medical device such that the user can add circuits to the microcontroller following the specification that I will develop. The circuits will be built up on top of each other using assigned pins.
If you have other suggestions than using Arduino or Raspberry pi please feel free to share.
Thanks."

1) with Arduino, which means I will have to switch between the circuits manually.
2)with Raspberry pi with LCD touch screen attached to switch between the multiple circuits electronically.

Thanks."

i am not particularly familiar with either an arduino or a raspberry pi,
which i see as comparable devices, especially with the proliferation of lots of versions and suppliers.
but i am surprised that you can do something with one and not the other,
specifically manually versus touch screen.

a raspberry is a complete linux computer. you can do a lot of user interface programming with it. it costs around $50
an arduino is a microcontroller, with a lot less power in it, and a clone can cost $3
they really are not the same devices.
the arduino will be easier to interface with sensors and devices, at an electronic level
the raspberry will be easier to deal with complex user interface on a big lcd screen.
I would use both devices for your application: the raspberry to make the user interface,
and the arduino to deal with I/Os. they can talk to each other using i2c or even ethernet (with esp32 or esp8266)

Hi,

"Arduino" is not the name of a hardware, it rather is the name of the IDE.
However, arduino compatible hardware can be an 8bit 8MHz ... or a 32 bit 240MHz microcontroller.

I will have to switch between the circuits manually.
Not sure what this means.

If you need big display and touch I'd vote for a Raspberry device. There also are different types with different features.

A big difference is the programming / programming language.
Raspberrys often use a Linux derivate as OS ... arduino devices usually don't use Linux...

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back