Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digit Truncation in unsigned BCD decimal number format using vhdl

Status
Not open for further replies.

shashwatss

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I would like to perform a multiplication of an unsigned number with 10^-7. This implies 7 Digit truncation beyond decimal Point in BCD. I am Aware of truncation and quantization Errors and have mapped them to my acceptable Standards.
Code until now: -
Code:
Architecture RTL of xyz is

signal prefactor : std_logic_vector(63 downto 0);
signal prefactor_truncated : std_logic_vector(63 downto 0);

begin

process(clk_in)
begin
prefactor_truncated : to_unsigned(prefactor)-- the Argument multiplies with 10^-7
prefactor_truncated : <[I]logic for truncation[/I]> -- unsigned decimal BCD number after removal of last 7 digits 
end process;

end RTL;

Can someone please suggest if we can follow a similar Approach as std_logic_vector(bit req(63) downto bit_req(7)) for BCD numbers as well? If so, can you please hint towards a suitable logic that can be incorporated for the same?
Thank you

std_logic_vector is a bit string and doesn't imply a specific numeric representation. What's the input data format? Unsigned (binary) or BCD?

Status
Not open for further replies.