Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Array storage in an FPGA, How is it handled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FPGAwarrior

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a Deo nano SOC. When I create an array using VHDL on the FPGA part, where is the array data stored?

By default assume it's stored in a lut flip flop.

However if your FPGA has block ram the tool may fit the array to ram if the way you implement and use it is compatible with that. See the output of your tool - it will print a message telling you when it infers a block ram.

By default assume it's stored in a lut flip flop.

However if your FPGA has block ram the tool may fit the array to ram if the way you implement and use it is compatible with that. See the output of your tool - it will print a message telling you when it infers a block ram.

I am using Quartus Prime. My demo board has a CPU, RAM and an FPGA. Where do I look to find this info? Also, I did not start my code from scratch. It is built on an existing code.

I am using Quartus Prime. My demo board has a CPU, RAM and an FPGA. Where do I look to find this info? Also, I did not start my code from scratch. It is built on an existing code.

Synthesis report will show how it implemented an array in the code.

Using existing code doesn't guarantee anything, even proper functionality. Unless a piece of code has a regression suite that I can re-run and check for coverage, I always assume that existing code I have to use doesn't necessarily function correctly.

The coding of an array to be implemented in RAM is usually called out in the vendors synthesis documentation. This usually involves registering the correct port, not having resets on the array, and having the read and write signals properly implemented.

Synthesis report will show how it implemented an array in the code.

Using existing code doesn't guarantee anything, even proper functionality. Unless a piece of code has a regression suite that I can re-run and check for coverage, I always assume that existing code I have to use doesn't necessarily function correctly.

The coding of an array to be implemented in RAM is usually called out in the vendors synthesis documentation. This usually involves registering the correct port, not having resets on the array, and having the read and write signals properly implemented.

Thanks. I saw in a report what appears to be an auto RAM system that utilizes a few hundred KB. Apparently, it does use part of the CPU RAM.

Thanks. I saw in a report what appears to be an auto RAM system that utilizes a few hundred KB. Apparently, it does use part of the CPU RAM.

If you say so...

Lack of design files, block diagrams, synthesis reports, or anything of value to determine if that is your array or not. It might by your array or it might just be part of the CPU (assuming you have an embedded CPU inside the FPGA).

Status
Not open for further replies.