Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Components nomenclature on PCB silkscreen

Status
Not open for further replies.

engr_joni_ee

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am working on 8 channel PCB design having around 20+ capacitors on each channel. I am looking for nice nomenclature. In the beginning I have chosen CAxx, CBxx, CCxx, CDxx,...., to represent capacitors in channels A, B, C, D, ..... but then comes capacitors on FPGA, Flash, and Ethernet on which I need suggestion how to assign them.

The capacitors on Power and SDRAM can be written as CPxx, CSxx. etc.

I have never done this. Why do you think it’s important or useful to declare reference designators this way?

When you look at the schematic, you’ll know explicitly which channel a component belongs to; when you look at a component on the PCB, knowing which channel (or FPGA or power supply) it belongs to is meaningless unless you know it’s place in the circuit.

Whenever there are repetitions of circuits in the project, it is preferable to encapsulate them in a block, repeating it as many times as necessary, prefer automation of the component designator assignment process. This feature is available at least in the CAD tool I use (you did not mention yours). In the case of Altium Designer, using the REPEAT feature, a suffix would automatically be added to all repeated devices, not just the capacitors; for example, all other capacitors on the board would be named as C1, C2, Cn, ... while the capacitors on the channels would be something like C4_1, C4_2, C4_n, ... (perhaps there is the alphanumeric entry option, I guess).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back