Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need information about related application to power electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.

eagle1109

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I'm working on a course of the basics of power electronics.

I've gone through some simple examples, but I want to learn some stuff about other bigger real life applications; like this on,

**broken link removed**

This is a Thyristor-Power-Controller, and the page actually describes the Typical Applications for it. But I want detailed examples and probably some images.

One good example I learned recently is the use of power electronics components in chillers units. Like this:

slide_6.jpg

Maybe the starter won't have power components, but the control panel for sure would have thyristors for motor speed control.

But for example, for a certain application, why would a thyristor would be used instead of a GTO ?

The linked thyristor controller is for heating control and won't work for AC motors. These days most small and medium size AC motors (e.g. up to 100 or 200 kW) are controlled by VFD inverters if speed variation is intended. They mostly use IGBT or MOSFET switches.

The linked thyristor controller is for heating control and won't work for AC motors. These days most small and medium size AC motors (e.g. up to 100 or 200 kW) are controlled by VFD inverters if speed variation is intended. They mostly use IGBT or MOSFET switches.

Could you point me some pages that contain a complete example for a certain panel or application that contains a power electronics component ?

Or provide me with some photos from google of stuff like the chiller that contain SCR, GTO .. etc ?

Status
Not open for further replies.