Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SMPS for 5000W can be a Full Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

On page 9 of the book “Power supply design, Volume 1 Control” by Dr Ridley, he states that a Full Bridge converter is good for power levels from 200w to over 5000w.
Most places where I have worked would usually say above 1000W means a resonant converter is really needed.
If anything, it is said that this is because the noise of a hard switched converter at above 1000W could disrupt the signal circuitry in the control section, and stop the power supply from operating properly.
Is Dr Ridley a little wide of the mark, or not.?

as you well know, there are a LOT of parameters and conditions to making a quality converter,
regardless of power level or topology

the guidelines you mentions change with quality of switches, quality of capacitors and topologies

Dr Ridley's book is from 2012
the experience and training and "up to date-edness" of the people where you have worked
color their guidelines

everyplace i have worked has their preferred parts, topologies, and their biases.

the proof is in the pudding -
are the parts available?
does it meet the spec?
can it be built in production? (without needing an expert to trim - adjust bits and pieces to make it work)?
can it be sold at reasonable cost to buyer and profit to seller?

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
There are a lot of hard switched H bridges up to 3.5kW ( and well above actually ) usually 20kHz for above 3.5kW and up to 50kHz below 3.5kW

for a compact design - read less heatsink - phase shift full bridge is now preferred - as it is quieter ( RFI ) and low loss switched

LLC actually has higher conduction losses in the mosfets ... for the same power of converter ...

Ridley is still very active and putting out new material.

He has a Facebook power supply design group that you
could join (I think - sort of a velvet-rope deal for many
"interest" groups, so don't come all gimme-gimme).

There has been a bit of progress in the last 7 years or
so on every front. Power devices, magnetics, topologies.

New additions to Ridley's portfolio include a lot of pretty
sophisticated magnetics and loop stability modeling tools.
Most of it over my head (I just string transistors together
more or less). But I like to keep an eye on the neighbors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back