Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Oscillations dying out

Status
Not open for further replies.

MILIND_7

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
my current starved vco oscillations are dying out after some nanosecond. what could be the possible reasons? and how to rectify it?

Hi,

Replace C15.

Joke aside. How do you think we can help when you don't give a single information about your hardware? By guessing?
--> give complete informations. Like schematics, PCB layout, exact part numbers and manufacturers, scope pictures, test conditions...

Klaus

"Some nanoseconds" sound like a pure simulation question. Anyway, show a schematic.

maybe "current starved" has something to do with it?

maybe there is too large a load internally or externally?

This is a conventional 3 stage current starved vco. Biasing is 620mV, but when i am doing biasing of 630mV oscillation sustain.
IMG_20200121_171814.jpg]

Attachments

• IMG_20200121_171814.jpg
    IMG_20200121_171814.jpg
    497.1 KB · Views: 90

This is a conventional 3 stage current starved vco. Biasing is 620mV, but when i am doing biasing of 630mV oscillation sustain.

does this mean that at bias of 620 mV, it dies out, as in the photo you posted,
and that at 630 mV the oscillation does not die out?

if so, looks like you've solved it.

yeah its solved but I want to know how? and one more thing is I simulated for 100ns , how would i get to know that it will still oscillate at 10 us?

1. You can verify by checking the loop gain.
2. Choose initial conditions that result in a start magnitude below steady state. You'll see a rising magnitude at the start.

Thank you so much for your help.
as I have designed conventional 3 stage current starved vco, what i can do to increase its tunning range,decrease phase noise ,make it independent of process variations. can you suggest me with some reference it will be a great help.

Status
Not open for further replies.