Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB current negotiation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArticCynda

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I'm working on a design that draws power through USB but needs about 1.5A of current at 5V. Hence I'm exceeding the 500mA limit and need to "negotiate" a higher current from the source. I've read various pieces of USB documentation and I understand a small microcontroller would be the way to do this properly. I'm looking for a solution that doesn't require me to implement custom embedded software, however.

Does anyone know of any custom ICs that negotiate a higher current with the host? Ideally I'm looking for a single chip solution that allows the current to be negotiated to be programmed with an external resistor or something similar.

Note: my on board power system is only compatible with 5V so I can't use the C-type controllers that pull up the voltage to 20V.

Thanks for any recommendations or advice, as usual!

Hi,

The most important is: you need a USB DCP which can supply 1.5V.
There is the USB specification, various application notes and forum discussions. What else do you need?

And for sure there are ICs from various manufacturers to find out current capability if an USB supply/host..
If I'd want to find some I'd use an internet search or an internet catalog from a distributor.

Klaus

After searching over an hour and browsing through many datasheets and application notes, I've come to the conclusion that a BC 1.2 slave controller IC does not exist without I2C or other digital control features.
Hence there is no single chip solution for the application I'm looking for.

Hi,

It took me 5 minutes to find MAXIM's USB Host Adapter Emulators
They may or may not have I2C. Some may have, but you don't need to use it (as stand alone solution)
Other manufactureres have compareable parts.

Maxim has a lot of documents and application notes about USB and charging...read through them

Klaus

It took me 5 minutes to find MAXIM's USB Host Adapter Emulators
They may or may not have I2C. Some may have, but you don't need to use it (as stand alone solution)
Other manufactureres have compareable parts.
As the name Host Adapter implies, these are parts intended to regulate power to a slave device on the host side. I'm looking for the equivalent handshaking part for the slave side.

Hi,

You are correct. My copy and paste fault.

It should be: MAXIM USB CHARGER DETECTORS.
... scroll down to the technical documents

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.