Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FIR Filter general question

Status
Not open for further replies.

roiberts

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dea Forum

Im designing a FIR filter, in this case a low pass. I get the coefficients from Matlab (no matter from where..) ,that are from 0 to 1, in floating point.

Now, I want to implement this FIR in my FPGA ,with buil in 18x18 multiplier.

So,I transform the coefficient in integer value of max 17 bit (1 bit for sign) ,multipling the bigger coefficient such that arrive < than 2^17 , and cutting the decimal.
That means, all coefficient preserve the precision more than possible when multiplied for a big number.

First question are:
1)I read this operation introduce a DC offset.Why ?
2)Why DC offset is a so big disturbing problem

Please check if next considerations are correct:

Image the input signal comes from a AD of 16 bit for example..When arrive the input signal, every multiplication sure will produce in the worst case 16+18=34 bit.
Last adder must be the more problematic, because (in worst case) will trasport the 34bit info multiplied for N coefficient .
Exsample...If I have 100 Coefficients,the last adders must work with value like (2^34) *100 -->need 8 bit more .
If I have not this bit, input signal must be scaled

So,question 3) is correct the worst case consideraton?
IN base to what I limit my signal input (some test ????)

Thanks very much and excuse for long message

Roberto

Hi.

The FIR should not create DC.
But for sure the values are multiplied wit 2^17, thus the output signal will be multiplied with the same factor ... the input DC, too.

Klaus

So, I transform the coefficient in integer value of max 17 bit (1 bit for sign)
Why not simply treat the signal as 18 bit signed? If your original ADC signal is 16 bit, you'll use 16 rather than 18 bit signed. Similarly, the coefficient resolution will be demanded by the filter transfer function accuracy, not the multiplier width. A higher coefficient resolution than 16 bit is rarely significant. You can check the effect of coefficient rounding either in Matlab or in FPGA tools like Quartus FIR compiler.

I get the coefficients from Matlab (no matter from where..) ,that are from 0 to 1, in floating point.
It get can be useful to scale the coefficient with a factor so that the sum of coefficients is a power of two. In this case you can easily scale the filter output to unity DC gain by shifting the result.

Image the input signal comes from a AD of 16 bit for example..When arrive the input signal, every multiplication sure will produce in the worst case 16+18=34 bit.
Last adder must be the more problematic, because (in worst case) will transport the 34bit info multiplied for N coefficient .
Exsample...If I have 100 Coefficients,the last adders must work with value like (2^34) *100 -->need 8 bit more .
If I have not this bit, input signal must be scaled
Depending on the filter bandwidth, significant filter output for 16 bit ADC can be expected somewhere between 16 and 24 bits, rarely more. Respectively you rather drop less signifikant output bits than scaling the input. Typically, a first bit reduction will occur after the multiplier, the second after the final addition. Filter design tools will suggest reasonable settings depending on the output width and filter order. In case of doubt, a simulation shows which bits are significant.

Thanks very much for all the reply to my long question.

1)Is clear now that, the DC component is the sum of <hi> coefficient . So,if I have some DC offset at input, it will produce a DC out very large (DC_out= DC_offs * sum(hi) ).

Questio is: I cant find a rules for create coeffincient at sum=0 for DC block.
Also Matlab dont give such coefficient

Or could be better to insert a DC block at input.

2)About FvM reply:
You say that, for have DC gain =1 ,we divide the out for sum of coeff: if this sum is a power of 2, shifting wil be a very efficient way to divide.

But cant find a rules for get this coefficient that sum is power 2, apart looking 1 to 1 coefficient, and do with hand.

Thanks very much
Roberto

To get sum of coeffs as power of 2:

coeffs = round(2^n *coeffs/sum(coeffs));

proper low pass filter will not generate dc but may be you mean truncation within any computation, yes

proper low pass filter will not generate dc but may be you mean truncation within any computation

DC gain of the low pass filter is just a synonym of pass band gain. Of course there should be no DC offset generated, apart from very small rounding errors.

I'm focussing on DC gain because it can be most easily calculated. If you have other filters than low pass, coefficient scaling must be calculated differently.

coeffs = round(2^n *coeffs/sum(coeffs));
Yes, you can do this calculation in your Matlab script.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back