Junior Member level 3
    Achievements:
    7 years registered

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

BLE v5 dongle isn't working on Ubuntu

Hi,

Recently, I got this BLE v5 dongle , I plugged it to an ubuntu machine and started to check it using these commands

$ sudo hciconfig -a
    No output

$ sudo hcitool dev
    Devices:

$ sudo hcitool lescan
    Could not open device: No such device

But linux can see it from

$ lsusb
    Bus 003 Device 004: ID 10c4:ea80 Cygnal Integrated Products, Inc. CP210x UART Bridge

and created a file for it /dev/hidraw0

In the dongle specs they say (Enumerated as generic HID device. No driver required for Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10, Mac OSX, Linux) so i think it should work directly. So, why bluez tools can't deal with it? And can I use it as a normal BLE dongle to scan and connect to other devices?

OS is ubuntu 16.04.06

and

$ uname -a
    Linux breeze 4.15.0-74-generic #83~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Wed Dec 18 04:56:23 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thanks!

•   AltAdvertisement

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Awards:
    2nd Helpful Member
    Helped
    4535 / 4535
    Level

Re: BLE v5 dongle isn't working on Ubuntu

The advert says it will not enumerate in HID mode, perhaps that is the problem. You might have to 're-flash' it with more suitable code for your application.

If lsusb shows it as a CP210x device it means the UART part of it is recognized by Ubuntu, it might be worth checking with a serial comms program to see if it appears as a serial port instead of Blutooth interface.

Brian.
    PLEASE - no friends requests or private emails, I simply don't have time to reply to them all.
    It's better to share your questions and answers on Edaboard so we can all benefit from each others experiences.

•   AltAdvertisement

Junior Member level 3
    Achievements:
    7 years registered

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Re: BLE v5 dongle isn't working on Ubuntu

It's supposed to be used as a usual BLE dongle to connect to other devices not for development. I think it was not a suitable choice at the first place

--[[ ]]--