Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

gtkterm does not respond for serial connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrownBear1968

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a Xubuntu guest on a Windows 10 host and I need to establish a serial communication between my notebook and the microcontrolled external system via serial connection.

The notebook side is an USB port and the system side is a true serial DB-9 connector.

The whole system works in the following way: i) I download a bitstream file from the notebook for the microcontrolled external system via a JTAG connection (this is working fine); and, after this ii) the microcontrolled external system sends via serial connection a message for the gtkterm console screen. Such message is not shown.

I already tried picocom and gtkterm. Both of them do not show any result on their console screens (picocom and gtkterm screeens).

The serial connection is recognized by the Xubuntu because, as soon I proceed with the physical conecction, it appears the /dev/ttyUSB0 file on my Xubuntu.

In another attempt, when I configure gtkterm to echo the results on a file, it only shows me a ^@ character inside the file each time the system is executed.

The counterproof that convince me that the system application works is this: the communication works on another notebook which is Windows 7 (without virtualbox). For this arrangement I use the old Windows hyperterminal and the messages appear on the screen of this software.

Any help will be appreciated.

Just an update:

1) I changed the visualization from ascii to hexadecimal and gtkterm shows me a zero byte, #00 each time I run the application.

2) I tried also with minicom and putty. All of them behave the same way, i.e., nothing is showed on the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.