Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Adding CCFL light or LED backlight to a 6 digit/7 segment LCD display

Status
Not open for further replies.

hafrse

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

Is possible to add CCFL light or LED backlight to a 6 digit/7 segment LCD display which has no backligt from the beginning? I have seen some article about doing that many years ago (could not find now...) by removing the reflective shield layer from the backside , not sure if I should seprate that shield from a possible layer (polirization ?) between it and the LCD glas or other consideration that I should be aware off.
ATtached 2 images from the LCD display
Mnay thanks in advance!.

Attachments

• DSC04897.jpg
    DSC04897.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC04898.jpg
    DSC04898.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 126

Hi,

There are some displays that are especially made for both operating modes. But it's a compromise.
If you have one made with reflective back then I doubt it will work because:
* the back won't let the backlight go through
* the polarisation won't work perfectly

Klaus

Reactions: hafrse

hafrse

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I agree with Klaus. The contrast is largely dependent on the distance light passes through the polarizing layer and back again, if you remove the reflector it may not work at all.

Try aiming an LED into the edge of the glass first, I have several units here that just use white 5mm LEDs aiming into to short sides of the display and they are perfectly readable.

Brian.

Reactions: hafrse

hafrse

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks, I will try that :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,

There are some displays that are especially made for both operating modes. But it's a compromise.
If you have one made with reflective back then I doubt it will work because:
* the back won't let the backlight go through
* the polarisation won't work perfectly

Klaus

Thanks, will not take away the backside since I only have this display to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back