Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC Booster for Solar Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

jatrom

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I would like to design a dc booster for a solar system. System consists of 6x 265Wp panels in series, which equals roughly 1600Watts, 200V, 9 Amps.
I need to boost the voltage up to 350V to feed into a VFD which in turn drives a 0.75kW motor.
Is this possible? Where should I start?

Thanks

Of course this is “possible”; ANYTHING is possible. But this is not trivial. Basically, you need to chop your 200 VDC into pulsed DC, and step it up using a diode and inductor, while not electrocuting yourself or burning down your house. Do a search for “boost converter”.

look up "boost converters" used a lot in transformerless grid tied inverters to step up the PV panels to 380VDc for inversion to 230Vac ...

A voltage doubler can provide your step-up ratio, almost 2x.
Two voltage doublers acting symmetrically provide AC to the load.

Simulation using Nakagome type.

Nakagome 2 caps 2 dio 8 transis 200VDC 100 ohm load gets 370VAC sq-wa.png

Bias was adjusted to transistors so that current draw stays under 9A.

To obtain sinewave output, add PWM and/or filtering.

- - - Updated - - -

Clock frequency can be anything you wish. There's a chance your motor draws greater current at lower rpm, resulting in higher temperatures.

I would like to design a dc booster for a solar system. System consists of 6x 265Wp panels in series, which equals roughly 1600Watts, 200V, 9 Amps.
I need to boost the voltage up to 350V to feed into a VFD which in turn drives a 0.75kW motor.
Is this possible? Where should I start?

Thanks

I see several problems you need to address
1/ What is the starting inrush of the motor & pump and where do you expect it to be supplied from ?
2/ You seem to assume your panels will be at 100% insolation all the time, is this true, do you live in a desert with no clouds and the sun directly overhead ?
3/ You make no mention of maintaining the panels at there maximum power point, if you don't your power will collapse

IMOP you have chosen a very complicated project for an absolute beginner with little or no knowledge of PV etc
Try addressing the above issues or publishing the answers here and someone might be able to help you a little more :)

agreed - you need a peak power ckt to draw the max from the panels ( even on on a sunny day ) and batteries to store (hopefully) the excess so that the load can run at other times, i.e. early morning & sunset --

else the load can only run when there is sufficient sunshine - fine in the desert on the equator - but not so fine for places with cloud cover etc ...

Status
Not open for further replies.