Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PLL LPF causing an odd short

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawaslsh

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

Picture1.png

I am having a problem I can't seem to diagnose: I have a PLL centered around a ~24 GHz VCO. The block diagram is shown above, defiantly not the best design, open to criticism. The VCO provides a N/16 output which is mixed with a 1.5 GHz reference provided by a HP frequency synthesizer. A highish speed amp, ad817, used to amplify and level shift the signal to 0-5V. The second phase comparitor output from a CD4046 is used on conjunction with another known 1 MHz source.
Picture2.png
I am having a problem at the LPF stage. The initial design (circuit on the right above) worked as expected. Given a decent DC starting point (~200 KHz from Fc) it locked fairly consistently. However, I wanted to see if other LPF designs could help improve my phase noise and side band generation. I tried the filter design on the left and as soon as I made the connection from the LPF to the VCO, I hit the current limit on the DC supply (~100mA I dont want to push it). When the DC supply is removed from the equation, the VCO output acts as if zero voltage is applied to Vcontrol. I feel silly posting this, since more likely than not its simply just a short, but i scoured the darn thing over and over with a multi-meter. Despite that feeling, i felt completed to reach out and ask if there might be any other reason why the second filter design (with a much high cut off) might be causing this behavior other than a real short circuit. Maybe something to do with the 4046's charge pump?

Thanks for any help, this one currently has me stumped :bang:
Sami

Status
Not open for further replies.