Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Automatic Water Level Controller - Dynamic Dry-Run and OverLoad Current Calc Related

Status
Not open for further replies.

baileychic

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am doing a automatic water level controller using PIC18F46K22 which also monitors mains voltage and pump current and controls the Pump.

I thought it is better to implement dynamic dry-run and overload current calculation method. So, Can I implement this method in the code?

Target = 2-HP Pump, 1-Phase, 220V, 50Hz

https://www.google.com/search?q=Hor....69i57j0l7.10730j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

2 HP = 1471W

Lets take 1500W for calculation purpose as it will be easier.

1500W/220V = 6.8181A nominal pump current

Dry-Run Current = nominal current - 20% of nominal current
Overload Current = nominal current + 20% of nominal current

Dry-Run Current = 6.8181A - (6.8181A * 20 / 100) = 5.4545A

Overload Current = 6.8181A + (6.8181A * 20 / 100) = 8.1818A

20/100 = 0.2 (this is known that is 20% value)

1500W is known

Voltage is known by measuring through ADC

Current is known as measured through ADC

What I want is a an equation to find out

dynamic dry-run and overload currents that is when mains voltage supplied to pump varies then current also varies and so I need to get dry-run and overload currents in run-time.

So, how to do that?

Should I find out dynamic power from voltage and pump currents and then calculate?

Code:
	mainsVoltageMeasuredInRunTime * pumpCurrentMeasuredInRunTime = pumpPowerInWatts

pumpPowerInWatts / mainsVoltageMeasuredInRunTime = pumpRunTimeNominalCurrent

pumpRunTimeDryRunCurrent = pumpRunTimeNominalCurrent - (20% pumpRunTimeNominalCurrent)

pumpRunTimeOverloadCurrent = pumpRunTimeNominalCurrent + (20% pumpRunTimeNominalCurrent)

Is the above method correct?

Yes, I am considering 7 times nominal current and so 6A * 7 = 42A and so I am using a 50A type ACS758 sensor. Is my method correct?

How to use the Power Factor in the calculation?

In my opinion, Dry run current and overload current should be set by end user.

Nandhu

Is the above method correct?

Looks OK.

For dry run (pump running without pumping anything), the actual current will depend on the type of motor. For simple capacitor start induction motors, 20% will be a conservative value.

You need to see the boilerplate.

In a simple system with one power source and one load it probably isn't necessary to take power factor into account as the measured values will change according to conditions anyway and could just be monitored. I would agree that making the '20%' user programmable and independently for dry and overload would be a good idea as these may have to be found empirically. Additionally, it might be useful to add another user programmable parameter, the 'ignore' time when power is first applied as the start current time will depend somewhat on whether it starts dry or under loaded conditions.

If the 'normal' values are calculated, or better still actually measured, they can be treated as constants, then all the program has to do is a comparison against real time values to determine the pump status.

In a job I did recently, I used a moving target principle, the running current was averaged over a long period (several days in this application) and deviations from normal were used to detect fault conditions rather than absolute limits.

Brian.

Finished the simulation. Have to test more.

Made a quick simulation video.

Will make PCB Layout today and get one assembled board manufactured and do the hardware testing. I Will update this thread after hardware test is done.

Forgot to mention. My code works for mains frequency 40Hz to 80Hz.

the running current was averaged over a long period...

Sounds a good strategy. But...

If you see a trend (current slowly increasing or decreasing over a long period), perhaps the motor is getting overheated or due to retire...

If you see a periodicity, perhaps the power line supply voltage is changing or something like that...

If you see voltage or current spikes, then perhaps you have a warning...

Data is goldmine these days.

Why there will be voltage / current spikes ifa MOV is put in parallel across the power line? I have one but not shown in the simulation. One MOV is used across transformer primary and also across the power supply which goes to motor.

One big problem is induction motor current does not drop much with no or light loads. The magentization current is always high. You need to measure true power to the motor to determine if it has no load.
motor power curves.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back