Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me recognize this SONY DP-41 circuit board

Status
Not open for further replies.

whatis

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

does anyone recognize this old SONY DP-41 Digital Processor circuit board and what it was used in originally?

sony_dp-41.jpg
sony_dp-41_2.jpeg
sony_dp-41_large.jpeg

Attachments

• sony_dp-41_3.jpeg
    sony_dp-41_3.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 178

Considering the Sony product range, I guess it's related to digital video or audio processing. Unless someone knows that they have been also involved with industrial electronics or other fields.

Technically it's a heap of 74LS TTL logic and a few other ICs (may be small RAM or ROM devices). A 70s minicomputer board, e.g. from a DEC computer, or a computer peripheral controller made in those years doesn't look much different.

Interesting. Do you think the board has any collectible value or should I just end up scrapping it as I find no other use for it ?

Without the backplane and other (probably similar looking) boards in the set it can't be used for anything useful. As it has no visible inputs or outputs it must be part of a bigger system. Bear in mind that it looks like 1980s technology so whatever it does, it would be slow and hungry for power compared to modern equipment.

Brian.

Hi,

Bear in mind that it looks like 1980s technology so whatever it does, it would be slow and hungry for power compared to modern equipment.
And I assume: every mediocre FPGA could do the same function, but with maybe 1% power consumption and much faster.

Klaus

I understand the board does not have any value on its own. I found a bunch of these at a flea market, so I was just wondering if there was any use for them.
The sequencer might be fun as it seems to have some outputs.
sony_boards.jpg

I think its a much older version of one of these:
**broken link removed**

Probably used in early color TV broadcast back in the 1980s. It makes more sense when seen in context of the other boards in the set. There might be a few components worth salvaging but there would be no point in trying to make it do anything useful. The sequencer would probably be for aligning the syncs and color burst, neither of which are used in modern digital TV.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back