Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to desing 2 way divider ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EgemenM

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I want to desing a 2 way divider with using coaxiel cable. Divider should work in 9-10 MHz. I am using AWR. But i have a lot of problems. I can't meet project requirements.
and i should not use wilkinson divider.

Can someone who is knowledgeable about this subject reach?

I'm adding my work below.

thanks.

coax.png

Doesn't work this way. With an ideal transmission line model (infinite common mode impedance), the circuit would work as a phase splitter. But infinite or reasonable high common mode impedance isn't feasible unless you place a ferrite core (transmission line transformer).

L=100um suggests you want to implement the transmission line on-chip. But at 10 MHz, it's like zero electrical length.

In terms of circuit modelling, you need to add a second transmission line instance that represents the common mode (coax sheet) impedance.

At 10 MHz, Power Dividers with Transmission Line are not practical.
Instead, Ferrite Transformer Based Dividers should be considered.

thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure if I should use coaxiel. What do I need to do to use a ferrite core?

What's exactly the intended function? Two way 50 ohm -3dB 0° power divider, similar to Wilkinson operation?

What are the constraints? How far it's required or wanted to use transmission lines? Post #1 suggests an exercise problem, e.g. using λ/4 transmission line. Although a bit lengthy, it could be still implemented at 10 MHz.

What's exactly the intended function? Two way 50 ohm -3dB 0° power divider, similar to Wilkinson operation?

thanks.

12 watt- 50 ohm input
6 watt - 50 ohm 2 output, 0° - -3dB

this is my purpose.

I should not wilkinson divider. Because λ/4 line length not suitable for project. The cable lengthens too much. ( our operating frequency is 9-10 MHz )

**broken link removed**

Wilkinson structure can also be considered being as Lumped LC elements.If the bandwidth is not too large, appropriate LC elements ( high voltage and current capable types ) may serve low loss divider.

I notice that the transmission line transformer circuit in the post #7 link has errors. Also it's not mentioned that it implements 2.25:1 rather than 2:1 impedance ratio.

Wilkinson structure can also be considered being as Lumped LC elements.If the bandwidth is not too large, appropriate LC elements ( high voltage and current capable types ) may serve low loss divider.

Hello BigBoss, isn't a power a bit high to do this with lumped structures? I'm not sure there are parts with those power ratings, what's your opinion on that?

Last edited:

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back