Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Safe value of Vgs in sub-threshold design (4.5nUT < Vgs - Vth < -2nUT)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vieha007Electronic

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am designing circuit (using 0.18um). Usually, by biasing Vgs < Vthreshold of MOSFET, we can push MOS into sub-threshold region. My curious question is: How much value of Vgs is "good" as a "rule of thumb"?

I have referenced to "Trade-offs and optimization in Analog CMOS design" book, and they supplied a good reference (please check the figure below). It seems to be good from this book is that we should bias MOS
such that -4.5nUT < Vgs - Vth < -2nUT, which is equivalent to approximate value in a range of: -163 mV < Vgs - Vth < -72 mV (n is the slope factor defined by EKV model from EPFL, UT = kT/q is the thermal voltage).

Could you guys confirm or give out any recommendations?

Thank you!

Sub.png

I guess this can vary depending on technology node. But one not so difficult way to visually see when the transistor enters subthreshold is to plot gm/Id vs Vgs (or vs Vgs-Vth).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back