Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Charging from USB port, how much current can I draw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plecto

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How can I device figure out if it's been connected to a standard USB 2.0 port that can deliver 500mA, or a proper USB charger that can deliver 1A or perhaps 2A?

Are you asking about simple USB chargers (DCP, dedicated charging port) or USB downstream ports with charging capability? DCP is signaled by shorting D+ and D-, intelligent USB ports use protocol means to announce the power capability.

USB is 5v....so put a 5 ohm resistor across it, and see if it stays as 5V...if vout drops beloe 5v...then its a 500mA one

Hi,

This is a brute force method without guarantee ... and for sure beyond every specification.

One could try the same on a 230V / 16A mains line. Use a 14 Ohms resistor and test if the voltage drops....
Danger! I strictly recommend not to try this!

Klaus

yes true, i am hoping that there is overload protection...even if there is not, its probable (but not certain) that it could handle the overload for a little bit anyway.......maybe you could start with a load of 5V/0.6A and see how that goes......if it drops out with that then its definetely a 500mA one....then again...a "500mA one" could probably supply 600mA for some time...so you will likely have to go heavier in loading.

I'm thinking of just figuring out if D+ and D- are shorted or not. If they aren't, I can draw 500mA. If they are shorted I know it's connected to a charging port, but I wouldn't really know how much current to draw from it.

Hi,

and if there is a CDP?.... how do you handle the pullup and pulldown situation ...while you check if they are connected?

--> for a clean and reliable solution: I recommend to read documentation and use a dedicated IC

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.