Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need more ideas on underwater transmitter and receiver circuit designs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bukenzo

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to design an underwater optical communication system with high speed and bandwidth to show the effects of absorption, scattering and turbulence. I need ideas on the circuit design for the transmitter and receiver. I would also need to simulate it on Optisystem and Matlab. I need ideas on how to simulate the processes on these programs. Thanks in advance .

Hi,

At the beginning of every design one should determine the specifications.
Not in words like "high speed"...but in values with units.

For one 10kBaud is high speed, for the other 10Mbaud, for the next 10GBaud...

Also consider power supply, measurement/calculation rate... resolution, precision, accuracy... temperature range, other sources of error...

Klaus

Hello Klaus,
Thanks for your response to my post. I want to achieve about 10Gbps at a distance of 10m. I intend to transmit via a laser diode with an optical power of 30mW and a wavelength of 405nm. I need examples of transmitter and receiver circuit designs that can achieve this. Looking forward to hearing from you

Hi,

Sadly 10GBaude data communication is beyond my experience.
I doubt I can be of help here.

Klaus

i suggest you find the components that can achieve your transmission in air
test it in air to be sure it works

then move to water
note that the wavelength of the light in water will change based on the index of refraction of water,
about 1.33 for water
add the various contaminants in fresh water, it will be a little different
add the various contaminants and salts in salt water, it will be a little different again

c in water = c in vacuum / index of refraction in water

wavelength in water = wavelength in vacuum / index of refraction in water

frequency stays the same

index of refraction of air is about 1.0004, so speed of light and wavelength of light
are the same in vacuum and in air
the difference is well within the tolerances of our laser diodes and etc

note that your laser diode will transmit at 405 nm as you noted
but it isn't clear if you need a 405 nm receiver or a 405/1.33 nm = 305 nm receiver

if you can put a small air bubble in front of the receiver, it will see 405 nm
like a scuba diver's mask makes underwater look correct, while with bare eyes, things look different

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back