+ Post New Thread
    Junior Member level 1

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Pipeline: For Loop comparing Module (VHDL)

Hi, Iḿ trying to compare 40 values from a memory array to my input data. If any of those 40 data matches to my input data I go to next state.
    I´m using a FOR LOOP for comparing the values in one clock cycle. But it limits my Fmax clock frequency.

How do I write a pipeline based code to check my input data with those 40 values in such a wau that increases my clock frequency?

-> It doesn´t matter if it takes even 40 clock cycles to do the whole thing

Code:
    signal checksum_Y      : std_logic_vector(8 downto 0);    

signal y_data          : std_logic_vector(9 downto 0);   

type did_reg is array (0 to did_width-1) of std_logic_vector (9 downto 0);            --intiating inferred memory
      signal did_arr : did_reg;  

when DID_Y =>                                                             

checksum_Y <= std_logic_vector(unsigned(y_data(8 downto 0)) + unsigned(checksum_Y)); -- load check sum with previous checksum and current data value 

for i in 0 to (did_width) loop                        -- Loop the did array                                                          
                    if i = did_width then                            -- If counter reaches the max amount of DID present+1 due to no DID match                               
                      curr_state_Y       <= IDLE_Y;                     -- jump tp next state, IDLE_Y                                                                                 

elsif y_data = did_arr(i) then                         -- check if y_data matches with the element of the did array                            
                      mem_arr_Y(count_Y) <= y_data;                     -- if true, load the data to memeory                                                                                                      
                      count_Y            <= count_Y+1;                  -- increase the memory adress counter                                            
                      curr_state_Y       <= SDID_Y;                     -- jump to next state, SDID_Y                                                                     
                      id_pair_cnt_Y      <= i;                          -- ID pair adrs counter, for SDID pair adrs                                                                 
                    exit;                                             -- exit the loop when true                                                                                              
    					      end if;
                  end loop;
    Right now the Fmax is 141 MHz

I want to increase it to it max value.

Super Moderator
    Awards:
    1st Helpful Member

Helped
    14006 / 14006
    Level

Re: Pipeline: For Loop comparing Module (VHDL)

Incomplete specification. What about the compare value, is it expected to change during processing?
    If not, you don't need a pipeline, just a sequential process that steps through all memory addresses, one per clock cycle.

If it changes at arbitrary times, you need to put the compare value into a pipeline register array. And you get a multidimensional state array.

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 5
    Achievements:
    7 years registered

Helped
    2030 / 2030
    Level

First of all, you have only provided a code snippet, not the whole code. You don't show libraries or the process so we can only assume it's a synchronous process.

If you're happy with multiple clocks for the search, remove the for loops and use a counter instead. Currently it does all compares in parallel with the lowest index match getting priority.

•   AltAdvertisement

Junior Member level 1

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Hi,

Yes, I have to compare my input data(y_data) with multiple did values. And have a enable signal high as a flag to indicate a match.
    I think, a sequential process is a good option and I agree with your suggestion of multidimensional array.
    Also we need to delay the data behind the DID value, to the same no. of clock cyles .

Could you help me with the code, too?

Code:

type did_reg is array (0 to did_width-1) of std_logic_vector (9 downto 0);            --instiating register based array of size equal to did width generic

type did_in_delay is array (0 to did_width-1) of std_logic_vector(9 downto 0);
      signal did_in : did_in_delay  := (others => '0');

type y_in_delay is array (0 to did_width-1) of std_logic_vector(9 downto 0);
      signal y_data_delay : y_in_delay  := (others => '0');

y_data   <= DIN(19 downto 10);
    	when DID_Y =>                                                             

for i in did_width loop

did_in(i) <=  y_data;

if did_in(i) = did_array(i) then

enable = '1';
         else
         enable = '0';
      end if;

y_data_delay(i) <= y_data_delay(i)((y_data_delay(i)'high-1) downto 0)) & did_in(i)(i);

end loop;
    Can you see what´s the problem in the code?
    Last edited by yashjain; 24th December 2019 at 09:15.

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 5
    Achievements:
    7 years registered

Helped
    2030 / 2030
    Level

The problem with the code is that it is not a complete example and you do not explain exactly what problems you're having with it.

Junior Member level 1

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Hi, sorry for the late reply.

I´m trying to extract ancillary data based on their DID/SDID. Ancillarya data is found in video data, and is serial data.
    The ancillary data follows the protocol SMPTE 291M

Format -> FLAG1 -> FLAG2 -> FLAG3 -> DID-> SDID -> DC ->UDW-> CS
    DID/SDID - DATA id
    DC -> no of UDW
    UDW -> user data words (0 to 255)
    CS -> Error bit

I have to compare the incoming data packets DID with the one stored in the memory before. If matched then stored in the memory.
    Right now, I am comparing the incoming DID with the stored DID values by using a for loop. This reduces my clk frq.
    I want to piepline this process.
    I want to compare the input data DID value with one of the stored DID value one at a time every clk cycle. So, if there are 40 DID values to compare with, then we delay the data 40 clk cycles.

*NOTE :- The packets are contiguous, I.E. , there is no space in between 2 packets. There can be 0 to 7 ancillary data packets in one vertical video line. A 1920x1020 has 1020 vertical video lines in one frame.
    The size of packets are varying.

Code:
    entity generic_anc_extractor is 

generic(
            did_width  : integer ;
            sdid_width : integer   
              );                                       
    port(    
      output_data_at_vcount : in integer;  --simulation specific feature. determines when to output the data.                                   
                                           -- x=0 -> output data at last vcount of frame- default value
                                           -- 0<x -> output data at every vcount sel when hav = 1 
      VIDEO_CLK    : in std_logic;
      DATA_OUT_CLK : in std_logic;
      RESET_N      : in std_logic;
      SOF          : in std_logic;    
      HAV          : in std_logic;
      V_COUNT      : in std_logic_vector(10 downto 0);
      H_COUNT      : in std_logic_vector(12 downto 0);
      DIN_VALID    : in std_logic;    
      DIN          : in std_logic_vector(19 downto 0); 
      DIN_FORMAT   : in std_logic_vector(3 downto 0); 
      DID_data     : in std_logic_vector(9 downto 0);
      SDID_data    : in std_logic_vector(9 downto 0);
      D_WR         : in std_logic;
      D_ADRS       : in std_logic_vector(log2c(did_width)-1 downto 0); 
      SD_WR        : in std_logic;
      SD_ADRS      : in std_logic_vector(log2c(sdid_width)-1 downto 0);
      DOUT_OUT     : out std_logic_vector(19 downto 0);
      DATA_VALID_Y : out std_logic;  
      DATA_VALID_C : out std_logic
    );
    end generic_anc_extractor;

architecture rtl of generic_anc_extractor is 

constant C_ADF1        : std_logic_vector(9 downto 0 ) := "0000000000"; -- 0  
      constant C_ADF2        : std_logic_vector(9 downto 0 ) := "1111111111"; -- 3FF
      constant C_ADF3        : std_logic_vector(9 downto 0 ) := "1111111111"; -- 3FF
      constant main_mem_N_Y  : integer := 10000;                -- Width of the main memory, equal to max anc data to be stored
      constant main_mem_N_C  : integer := 10000;                -- Width of the main memory, equal to max anc data to be stored
      -- constant did_width     : integer := 5;
      -- constant sdid_width    : integer := 5;

type state_extrac_y is (IDLE_Y,
                              ADF_2_Y,
                              ADF_3_Y,
                              DID_Y,
                              SDID_Y,
                              DC_Y,
                              UDW_Y,
                              CS_Y
                              );

type state_extrac_c is  (IDLE_C,
    					               ADF_2_C,
    						             ADF_3_C,
    						             DID_C,
    						             SDID_C,
                             DC_C,
    						             UDW_C,
    						             CS_C
                             );                         

signal curr_state_Y    : state_extrac_Y_1;
      signal curr_state_C      : state_extrac_C;  

signal dc_count_Y        : integer := 0;
      signal dc_count_C        : integer := 0;  

signal reg_out_Y       : std_logic_vector(9 downto 0);
      signal reg_out_C       : std_logic_vector(9 downto 0);  

signal data_count_Y    : integer := 0;                    -- count is equal to DC_Y, representing the amount of UDW_Y data 
      signal checksum_Y      : std_logic_vector(8 downto 0);    -- checksum is equal to the sum of DID_Y to UDW_Y, which is then checked against CS_Y 9 bits value
      signal count_Y         : integer := 0;                    -- count for adress of the register memory
      signal cnt_Y           : integer := 0;                    -- count for writing extracted data to output port

signal data_count_C    : integer := 0;                  -- count is equal to DC_C, representing the amount of UDW_C data 
      signal checksum_C      : std_logic_vector(8 downto 0);    -- checksum is equal to the sum of DID_C to UDW_C, which is then checked against CS_C 9 bits value
      signal count_C         : integer := 0;                    -- count for adress of the register memory
      signal cnt_C           : integer := 0;                    -- count for writing extracted data to output port  
      signal did_cnt         : integer := 0;                    -- DID counter
      signal sdid_cnt        : integer := 0;                    -- SDID counter

signal id_pair_cnt_Y   : integer := 0;                    -- Counter for the pair index for DID and SDID
      signal id_pair_cnt_C   : integer := 0;

signal last_vcount_f2  : integer := 0;                   -- returns the last value of vcount of every format of frame 2 
      signal last_vcount_f1  : integer := 0;                   -- returns the last value of vcount of every format of frmae 1

signal y_data          : std_logic_vector(9 downto 0);   -- upper 10 bits of the video stream(20-11 / 20)
      signal c_data          : std_logic_vector(9 downto 0);   -- lower 10 bits of the video stream(10-0 / 20)

signal DATA_VALID_Y_d  : std_logic := '0';
      signal DATA_VALID_C_d  : std_logic := '0';

type main_mem_reg_Y is array (0 to main_mem_N_Y-1) of std_logic_vector (9 downto 0);  --instiating register based main memory of max size of anc data that can be stored
      signal mem_arr_Y : main_mem_reg_Y;

type main_mem_reg_C is array (0 to main_mem_N_C-1) of std_logic_vector (9 downto 0);  --instiating register based main memory of max size of anc data that can be stored
      signal mem_arr_C : main_mem_reg_C;                                                   

type did_reg is array (0 to did_width-1) of std_logic_vector (9 downto 0);            --instiating register based array of size equal to did width generic

type sdid_reg is array (0 to sdid_width-1) of std_logic_vector (9 downto 0);          --instiating register based array of size equal to sdid width
      signal sdid_arr : sdid_reg;                                                        

--########################################################################################

-- type did_in_delay is array (0 to did_width-1) of std_logic_vector(9 downto 0);
      -- signal did_delay : did_in_delay ;

-- type y_in_delay is array (0 to did_width-1) of std_logic_vector(9 downto 0);
      -- signal y_delay : y_in_delay;

-- signal did_match : std_logic;
      -- signal c : std_logic_vector(8 downto 0);

-- signal shreg_did : std_logic_vector(9 downto 0);
      -- signal shreg_y   : std_logic_vector(9 downto 0);
    --############################################################################################ 
    begin 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Generate output data signal for extracted data from y and c data
    process(DATA_OUT_CLK)
    begin
      if rising_edge(DATA_OUT_CLK) then      -- Output of the data on the rising edge of clk given by the outer interface
        if unsigned(H_COUNT) >= 4096 then   -- check for hcount 0, start of active video
          DOUT_OUT <= reg_out_Y&reg_out_C;   -- output the extracted the data from y and c data
          DATA_VALID_Y <= DATA_VALID_Y_d;
          DATA_VALID_C <= DATA_VALID_C_d;
        end if;
      end if;
    end process;

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Loading DID_Y/SDID_Y serially to the array
    process(VIDEO_CLK)
    begin

if rising_edge(VIDEO_CLK) then
      if D_WR = '1' then                                              -- check for did write enable signal                           
        did_cnt          <= to_integer(unsigned(D_ADRS));             -- loading the did adrs to did_cnt signal 
        did_arr(did_cnt) <= DID_data;                                 -- load the did in to did array according to the adress signal
      end if;  

if SD_WR = '1' then                                             -- check for did write enable signal                           
        sdid_cnt           <= to_integer(unsigned(SD_ADRS));          -- loading the sid adrs to sdid_cnt signal 
        sdid_arr(sdid_cnt) <= SDID_data;                              -- load the did in to did array according to the adress signal
      end if;
    end if;    
    end process;
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Current State Logic
    --Generate reset and next state signals
    --at every clock, update the curr_state value
    --when reset,curr_state is IDLE_Y
    	generate_state: process(VIDEO_CLK)
    	begin 

if rising_edge(VIDEO_CLK) then 
        y_data   <= DIN(19 downto 10);                   -- loading the upper 10 bits
          if RESET_N = '0' then 
            curr_state_Y    <= IDLE_Y;                   -- default state
    		  else

if DIN_VALID = '1' then                      -- check for data valid signal

case curr_state_Y_1 is 
    	------  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------IDLE_Y 						
                when IDLE_Y =>                           

checksum_Y   <= (others=>'0');                                     -- Reset checksum value for next anc data packet
                  DATA_VALID_Y_d <= '0';

last_vcount_f1 <= return_vcount_active_end_f1(DIN_FORMAT);        -- last vcount of frame according to the Video Format
                  last_vcount_f2 <= return_vcount_active_end_f2(DIN_FORMAT);

if y_data = C_ADF1 then                                          -- check for ADF_1 - 0
    				    		curr_state_Y <= ADF_2_Y;                                       -- jump to next state when true
                  else
                     curr_state_Y <= IDLE_Y;                                       -- Jump to IDLE_Y when false
                  end if;
                  --OUTPUTTING THE EXTRACTED DATA FROM THE MEMORY
                  if output_data_at_vcount = 0 and cnt_Y< count_Y and HAV = '1' and (unsigned(V_COUNT) = last_vcount_f1 or unsigned(V_COUNT) = last_vcount_f2) then -- check for last count according to frame 1 and 2; simulation specification -> FPGA implementation, check for space in memory and active video 
                        reg_out_Y    <= mem_arr_Y(cnt_Y);                         -- output data of register buffer starting from adrs 0 to the data stored in one line
                        cnt_Y        <= cnt_Y+1;                                  -- increase the adrs cnt till all the data is read from the register
                        DATA_VALID_Y_d <= '1';                                    -- Trigger signal to indicate data valid when the data is being output                   
                  elsif output_data_at_vcount >= 1 and unsigned(V_COUNT) > 0 and cnt_Y< count_Y and HAV = '1' then-- simulation specification -> Simulation implementation,-- output only after vcount 0, check for space in memory and active video                                  
                          reg_out_Y    <= mem_arr_Y(cnt_Y);                       -- output data of register buffer starting from adrs 0 to the data stored in one line
                          cnt_Y        <= cnt_Y+1;                                -- increase the adrs cnt till all the data is read from the register
                          DATA_VALID_Y_d <= '1';
                  end if;         

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ADF_2_Y / ANC DATA FLAG					
    				    when ADF_2_Y =>                                                     -- ADF_2_Y - 3FF

if y_data = C_ADF2 then                                           -- check for ADF_2_Y - 3FF 
    				    		curr_state_Y <= ADF_3_Y;                                        -- jump to next state when true,ADF_3_Y
    				    	else                        
                    curr_state_Y <= IDLE_Y;                                         -- Jump to IDLE_Y when false
                  end if;

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ADF_3_Y / ANC DATA FLAG					
    				    when ADF_3_Y =>                                                     -- ADF_3_Y

if y_data = C_ADF3 then                                           -- check for ADF_3_Y - 3FF
    				    		curr_state_Y <= DID_Y;                                          -- jump to next state when true, DID_Y
                  else                         
                    curr_state_Y <= IDLE_Y;                                         -- Jump to IDLE_Y when false
                  end if;

when DID_Y =>
                checksum_Y <= std_logic_vector(unsigned(y_data(8 downto 0)+checksum_Y)); -- load check sum with previous checksum and current data value 

for i in 0 to (did_width) loop                        -- Loop the did array                                                          
                  if y_data = did_arr(i) then                         -- check if y_data matches with the element of the did array                            
                    mem_arr_Y(count_Y) <= y_data;                     -- if true, load the data to memeory                                                                                                      
                    count_Y            <= count_Y+1;                  -- increase the memory adress counter                                            
                    curr_state_Y       <= SDID_Y;                     -- jump to next state, SDID_Y                                                                     
                    id_pair_cnt_Y      <= i;                          -- ID pair adrs counter, for SDID pair adrs                                                                 
                    exit;                                             -- exit the loop when true                                                                                              
                  elsif i = did_width then                            -- If counter reaches the max amount of DID present+1 due to no DID match                               
                    curr_state_Y       <= IDLE_Y;                     -- jump tp next state, IDLE_Y                                                                       
                  end if;
                end loop;

------  -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------SDID_Y/ SECONDARY DATA ID          					 
                when SDID_Y =>                    

checksum_Y <= std_logic_vector(unsigned(y_data(8 downto 0))+unsigned(checksum_Y));-- load check sum with previous checksum_C and current data value                                                                                                                      

if y_data = sdid_arr(id_pair_cnt_Y then                   -- SDID array of adress of id pair cnt equal to y data                      
                  mem_arr_Y(count_Y) <= y_data;                            -- if true, then load the data to the memory                                                                                                                                               
                  count_Y            <= count_Y+1;                         -- increase the memory adress counter                                                                                                                                                    
                  curr_state_Y       <= DC_Y;                              -- jump to next state, DC_Y                                                                               
                else                                                                                                                                                     
                  curr_state_Y <= IDLE_Y;                                  -- if false, jump to default state, IDLE_Y                                                       
                  count_Y      <= count_Y-1;                               -- decrease the memory adres counter, to over write the data alerady written                      
                end if;   

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------DC_C/ DATA COUNT
              when DC_Y =>                                                 

dc_count_Y       <= to_integer(unsigned(y_data(8 downto 0)));                    -- first 9 bits of the c_data, is equal to the no. of UDW_C in the packet

checksum_Y         <= std_logic_vector(unsigned(y_data(8 downto 0))+unsigned(checksum_Y)); -- load check sum with previous checksum_C and current data value                                        
                mem_arr_Y(count_Y) <= y_data;                                                    -- store data in memory 
                count_Y            <= count_Y +1;                                                -- increase the memeory adress counter                                                                      

curr_state_Y    <= UDW_Y;                                                        --jump to next state, UDW_C      

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------UDW_C/ USER DATA WORDS				
              when UDW_Y =>            

if data_count_Y <= dc_count_Y then                                            -- loops the process checking if data_count_C is less than/equal to dc_count(no of UDW_C)
                    checksum_Y    <= std_logic_vector(unsigned(y_data(8 downto 0))+unsigned(checksum_Y)); -- load check sum with previous checksum_C and current data value when true
                    data_count_Y  <= data_count_Y+1;               -- data count value determines the amount of packet loaded in the memory

mem_arr_Y(count_Y) <= y_data;                  -- store data in memory
                    count_Y            <= count_Y+1;               -- incraese the memory adress counter    

if data_count_Y = dc_count_Y-1 then          -- when count is equal to the no. of UDW_C. dc_count-1, because we start counting from 0
                        data_count_Y <= 0;                         -- reset count to 0, will count next from next data UDW_C
                        curr_state_Y <= CS_Y;                      -- jump to next state, CS_C when all the UDW_C is loaded
                      end if; 
                  end if;

-- -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------CS_C/CHECKSUM 						
              when CS_Y =>	                                                 

if checksum_Y = y_data(8 downto 0) then             -- checks the data with the checksum_C value
                  curr_state_Y       <= IDLE_Y;                     -- jump to next state, IDLE_C when true
                  mem_arr_Y(count_Y) <= y_data;                     -- store data in memory
                  count_Y            <= count_Y +1;                 -- incraese the memory adress counter 

else                                                                                                    
                  curr_state_Y     <= IDLE_Y;    					          -- jump to default IDLE_C, when false           
                  count_Y          <= count_Y - dc_count_Y-3;       -- wrap around the adres of the register back to where it stored the 1st data of the pckt
                end if;                                             -- will overwrite the new data over the present adres                                    

when others => curr_state_Y <= IDLE_Y;                -- default case
              end case;

end if; -- dvalid
            end if; -- reset
          end if; -- VIDEO_CLK        
        end process;
      end process;
    You can surely ignore some unecceary comments. I've tried several designs / code, but can´t get it work.
    Can you help me in this, please.

The code here is the original one, using the for loop for DID comparison.

Advanced Member level 5
    Achievements:
    7 years registered

Helped
    2030 / 2030
    Level

dont use a for loop. Use a counter, and wait in the state until the counter is complete.

Junior Member level 1

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Hi,

I just can't use a counter for it.

Reason: The input is a serial data of 10 bits each. So, I can't pause the data. And we do not want to use a buffer type system. But something more of using shifter or small array based system.

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 5
    Achievements:
    7 years registered

Helped
    2030 / 2030
    Level

Then you could make some kind of search unit. Or increase the clock.
    Probably best to go back to your architecture/design drawing you made before you wrote the code and having a re-think on system design.

1 members found this post helpful.

Super Moderator
    Helped
    1734 / 1734
    Level

Quote Originally Posted by yashjain View Post
    -> It doesn´t matter if it takes even 40 clock cycles to do the whole thing
    Quote Originally Posted by yashjain View Post
    Hi,

I just can't use a counter for it.

Reason: The input is a serial data of 10 bits each. So, I can't pause the data. And we do not want to use a buffer type system. But something more of using shifter or small array based system.
    These statements seem to contradict each other.

--[[ ]]--