Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Resistor wattage in LAB PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In this LAB PSU I have designed the 0.33 Ohms resistor, how many watts must it be?

Also, can I use another resistor value, or no resistor at all, and what effects will it have?

Attachments

• PSU.jpg
    PSU.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 128

W=(I^2)R so it needs to be rated at 0.33 times the maximum load current squared.
The resistor is there to create a voltage drop at the 'set' pin as load current flows so it adjusts the voltage to maintain a constant current.
I would anticipate some drift problems using opto-couplers like that, as everything is ground referenced you could directly couple the voltages from the potentiometers to the ICs.
There should be a ground on the regulator IC!

Brian.

Reactions: neazoi

neazoi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
W=(I^2)R so it needs to be rated at 0.33 times the maximum load current squared.
The resistor is there to create a voltage drop at the 'set' pin as load current flows so it adjusts the voltage to maintain a constant current.
I would anticipate some drift problems using opto-couplers like that, as everything is ground referenced you could directly couple the voltages from the potentiometers to the ICs.
There should be a ground on the regulator IC!

Brian.

So the the resistor must be 0.33*3.3=1.089 Watts for 3.3A max load?

I noticed the drift as well and I replaced the LDRs with pots like shown in the datasheet.

That seems about right. I would use a 5W rated resistor so it doesn't get as hot, any change in value will change the voltage sensed across it.

Brian.

So the the resistor must be 0.33*3.3=1.089 Watts for 3.3A max load?

power requires the current be squared P =I^2* R
or 0.33 ohm * (3.3 A) ^2 = 3.6 W

a 5 W resistor should be ok

Sorry, I missed that the current hadn't been squared in post #4 but as wwfeldman points out, 5W is adequate anyway. It is the temperature coefficient that really matters as it changes the current limit.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.