Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Basic 12v Battery VOLTAGE METER, more resolution needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I designed and made a Sound Level Indicator circuit with an LM3915 which is similar to an LM3914. I use a 9V power supply and a 10 ohms 1W resistor feeding the anodes of the LEDs to share the heat with the IC when all 10 LEDs are on. Since the IC outputs have regulated current then diodes are not needed. It has been working continuously for more than 14 years.

That is exactly right. I will try to explain my reasoning about the shunt regulator method:

If you forget R7 and the four 1N4007 diodes and instead add a resistor in series with each LED, you limit the current the LED can pass when it is lit up but pass no current at all when it isn't lit up, far more efficient!

Brian.

I can't even begin to thank you for so much awesome explanation!!

i was just speechless for a while trying to find words

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back