Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Convert real to 2's complement & vice versa in Verilog

Status
Not open for further replies.

nader.skf

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am trying to convert a real signed number into 2's complement in verilog for the sake of testing only. But I get "don't cares" when converting to binary. I am new to Verilog and not sure how to do it. My code is shown below:

module tst();

parameter INPUT_PORT_WIDTH = 65;

// Input filter data {1,64} => Range -0.5 to 0.5 => 1 bit sign, 64 bits precision
reg [INPUT_PORT_WIDTH-1:0] data_t;

// Init a number between -0.5 to 0.5:
real mynumber = -0.123;
assign data_t = $realtobits(mynumber);

// Converting back to real data:
real converted_number = $bitstoreal(data_t);

initial
begin
$display("======================================> The original number: %f", mynumber);
$display("======================================> The bits number : %b", data_t);
$display("======================================> The restored number: %f", converted_number);
end

endmodule

Output:

ncsim> run
======================================> The original number: -0.123000
======================================> The bits number : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
======================================> The restored number: 0.000000
ncsim: *W,RNQUIE: Simulation is complete.
ncsim> exit

I tried to change the number to a regular integer "ex: 123", but I got (don't care output) as well. Please help!

You should read the description of conversion functions in clause 20.5 of the Verilog LRM.

$realtobits() is generating 64 bit IEEE float value.

You can use $rtoi() or automatic type conversion. Both are truncating to integer, you need to scale the real value to the intended fixed point representation, e.g. integer value = $rtoi(1000.0 *0.123) in your example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back