Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ferrite beads for EMC testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

DIAGO1000

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm looking at the effect of ferrite bead on a pcb to improve Susepability when EMC testing.
Looking at the curves on the data sheets .
The peak resistance seems to be around the 2mhz range.
Does this mean the ferrite bead will filter out frequencys around this range ie the higher the resistance( and reactance) the better the filtering??

There are quite different types of ferrite beads, e.g. beads on leads, surface mount beads, chip beads, wound beads, with different impedance and frequency range and current rating. You should narrow down the range you are talking about.

Chip beads e.g. mostly have impedance maxima between 100 MHz and several GHz. Low MHz range would be rather expected for wound beads. Ferrite beads are usually inserted to increase the high frequency impedance of a connection wire or a circuit branch. They can be also part of low pass filters.

I'm looking at the effect of ferrite bead on a pcb to improve Susepability when EMC testing.
Looking at the curves on the data sheets .
The peak resistance seems to be around the 2mhz range.
Does this mean the ferrite bead will filter out frequencys around this range ie the higher the resistance( and reactance) the better the filtering??

Attenuation is ratio of impedances with series path included with source.

Although your values are missing, if the load is capacitive or low impedance a high series peak will improve attenuation at this peak.

We can only guess how much without values.

Attenuation is ratio of impedances with series path included with source.

Although your values are missing, if the load is capacitive or low impedance a high series peak will improve attenuation at this peak.

We can only guess how much without values.

I am testing an output of a hall effect sensor using a wurth ferrite bead 742792662.
Testing to ISO11452-2 RF immunity,the immunity if 200Mz but passing at 400mhz upwards

If your load is high impedance, you better combine the ferrite bead with a shunt capacitor, to form a low pass filter.

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I won't expect an UHF problem from your post #1 mentioning 2 MHz. If the problem is actually ferrite bead impedance > 200 MHz, you might refer to a HF ferrite bead like 742861210.

An additional shunt capacitor should be helpful too, as mentioned by Volker.

Status
Not open for further replies.