Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Supercap charging using load switch and current limit resistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaibhavwaman

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
We are using load switch and current limiting resistor to charge supercap from 5V, As we have 3.3V available at source we convert it to 5V using boost converter to charge supercap till 5V to get more backup time.

Power architecture.png

We are using FPF2125 switch to protect reverse current flowing from supercap to power supply when power is off.
As per calculation I am getting practically 70mA current limit, which is correct. but I have question regarding turn on threshold,

F0049TEK.png

In image :
Channel 1 :Vds of PMOS that is in and out pin of FPF2125
Channel 2 :Output current
Channel 3 :Voltage across resistor
Channel 4 :Input Voltage

1.I have connected On pin to input of FPF2125 what will be turn on threshold, because as per my understanding it should be 1.8V but I see in waveform at 2.4V. Is it due to turn on delay ?

2. How shall I calculate power loss including derating in active region of PMOS inside FPF2125. As per my understanding active region is mention between two curves ?

FPF2125 datsheet :
https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/149/FPF2125-191153.pdf

Thank you.

Attachments

• F0049TEK.BMP
    17.9 KB · Views: 82

Hi,

Is it due to turn on delay ?
Yes. Turn ON starts at about 1.8V, but one can not see this, becayse the signal is chip internal. But after the turn ON delay you see the output.

2. How shall I calculate power loss
As always: (true for any resistive device, LED, resistor, Mosfet, BJT...)
P_tot = V_diff x I
In your case P = (V_in - V_out) x I.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back