Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Automotive toggle switch on PCB solutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabors

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
For a project i'm doing, I am trying to keep the switch panel relatively compact and not running wires from the switch to the board. Utilizing switches such as the one linked below, what are some ways I could directly connect them to a pcb? I was thinking of adding PTH slots to directly solder the switches into. I would like a way to remove/switch them out in case of failure but cannot find any options of pcb mounted sockets.

Switch: https://amzn.to/36sjyDx

Of course it seems economical and efficient to attach the switch directly to the board, however...

Do you intend for the switch to be exposed? Suppose a user were to press the switch with all his might? Suppose the switch is facing down if he drops the unit? Does the force bend the board? Does it fracture traces? Loosen components?

Sometimes repairability is preferable over durability. A flexible attachment might be preferable. Such as short lengths of 20 gauge wire. Then it's:

* Easy to test the switch in each assembled project

* Easy to install the project in the enclosure.

* Easy to push the switch snugly up to the opening (thin wires bend easily).

* Easy to clip away a bad switch.

* Easy to test a replacement switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.