Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] ADEXL simulation problem in cadence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junus2012

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,

I am facing an issue when running the ADEXL or ADE GXL, for example, to run the Montecarlo from ADEXL , the enviroment interface is working perfectly so I can do my setting, the problem when I run the simulation (by pushing the run button in the ADEXL interface) it will stuck and don't continue to perform the simulation,

The log file is not reporting an error nor giving me any message,

is there any setting of ADEXL/ADE GXL that I might to investigate ?

Thank you very much

Confirm whether model file surely include statistical descriptions.

Dear Pancho,
Thank you for your reply

My models files are complete because I copied it compeletely from my old Cadence machine to the new one we installed recently,

Anyway I have recieved the following messages after wiating for some time when I press the RUN simulation from ADEXL

adexl_problem.PNG

adexl_problem2.PNG

I have seen similar problem and a reply from Cadence community to solve it by

First you might want to start by putting:

adexl.icrpStartup binaryName string "virtuoso -nocdsinit"

into your ~/.cdsenv file. Alternatively in the CIW (before starting ADE XL), do:

envSetVal("adexl.icrpStartup" "binaryName" 'string "virtuoso -nocdsinit")

(you could also put this in your .cdsinit)

I tried the above solution but still, nothing changed.

I also noticed one tab called "Job Monitor", from ADEXL Tools, when I click on it nothing is coming

Hope is my problem is more clear

The issue is well known and the solution you can find on this forum, too.
Hint: look on the point 3 in message you're get (1921).

The issue is well known and the solution you can find on this forum, too.
Hint: look on the point 3 in message you're get (1921).

Thank you Dominik

It will be very kind of you if you can help me to solve this issue with more details

thank you once again

I am considering myself as a lazy person, but ok.

The issue is related to used by ADE XL mechanism of running job process by calling vnc protocol. The vnc server starts to checking whether system has all necessary files to run it. The issue with Debian like distros is lack of xfonts as a defaultly installed packages. So, vnc server can't find fonts required to run server and finished his job. Thus, ADE process can't even start and generates any feedback to virtuoso.

The solution is to install packages xfonts-base, xfonts-75dpi and xfonts-100dpi.

In addition, old versions of virtuoso (<6.1.6) were compiled on older version of RHEL which has different xfonts directory structure. If your virtuoso version is old enough, you will need to create xfonts directory structure under path mentioned in your vnc log. Vnc log should be located in your home directory ~/.vnc.log or in ~/.vnc-logs/ (don't remember now). Such structure should be then located under sthing like /usr/X11R6/fonts instead of /usr/lib/fonts.

So do following:
1. Install (or ask root for this) mentioned xfonts packages
2. Try to run simulation
3. If doesn't work, look for ~/.vnc log file. Provide also this file and information about virtuoso version you are using.

Reactions: Junus2012

Junus2012

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

MaryF

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I am considering myself as a lazy person, but ok.

The issue is related to used by ADE XL mechanism of running job process by calling vnc protocol. The vnc server starts to checking whether system has all necessary files to run it. The issue with Debian like distros is lack of xfonts as a defaultly installed packages. So, vnc server can't find fonts required to run server and finished his job. Thus, ADE process can't even start and generates any feedback to virtuoso.

The solution is to install packages xfonts-base, xfonts-75dpi and xfonts-100dpi.

In addition, old versions of virtuoso (<6.1.6) were compiled on older version of RHEL which has different xfonts directory structure. If your virtuoso version is old enough, you will need to create xfonts directory structure under path mentioned in your vnc log. Vnc log should be located in your home directory ~/.vnc.log or in ~/.vnc-logs/ (don't remember now). Such structure should be then located under sthing like /usr/X11R6/fonts instead of /usr/lib/fonts.

So do following:
1. Install (or ask root for this) mentioned xfonts packages
2. Try to run simulation
3. If doesn't work, look for ~/.vnc log file. Provide also this file and information about virtuoso version you are using.

Thank you very much Dominik
I will give you my feedback after trying it,

Dear Dominik

I have installed the font packages as you suggested me (xfonts-base, xfonts-75dpi and xfonts-100dpi). I also run the command virtuoso -nograph and now I am getting this message after simulation

phont_problem1.PNG

My Cadenc version is 6.1.6

the vnc files are stating

/opt/cadence/IC616/tools.lnx86/bin/cdsXvncd: /opt/cadence/IC616/tools.lnx86/lib/vnclibs/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_4.2.0' not found (required by /opt/cadence/IC616/tools.lnx86/lib/libstdc++.so.6)

I have such 8 files stating the above text

The simplest solution - use recommended system, in this case it is RHEL5 or 6.

If in $HOME/.vnc-cds/eda:80.log is stated only such 4 lines, it simply means that your system gcc version is not compatible with required gcc version. Virtuoso, might required the same library compiled for both x86 and em64 architectures (again, it is not default in Ubuntu).

Check whether the same issue is for 32bit only and 64 bit only (I don't know whether you have installed both) virtuoso binaries. You can check it by call virtuoso - 64 or virtuoso - 32 from terminal.

Install gcc 4.2 package (both for 64 and 32 bit Intel architecture) and try again. The most probably you will get error about another library, then simply install it.

You have mentioned about some "old machine". If it still exist, compare installed libraries on both systems and install missing packages.
Or, simply ask administrator of this old machine what do you need.

Dear Dominik,

Thank you very much for your help,

You have solved my issue, indeed I was not installing correctly the font types you suggested me before your last comment, nor I have the correct directory. But after releaizing this mistakeand following back your procedure every thing is fine with ADEXL.

Thank you very much once again
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back