Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Differences between the Artix 7 xc7a35tcpg236-1 vs Stratix III EP3SL150F1152C2 FPGA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daskk62

Can you please tell me any three important differences between Artix 7 xc7a35tcpg236-1 vs Stratix III EP3SL150F1152C2 FPGA. It is going to be helpful for my exam.

Artix is a Xilinx Product. Stratix 3 is Altera
Artix will cost a few $. Stratix 3 will cost ~$200
The Pinouts will be different, so cannot be swapped between one and the other.

3 very important differences.

can you tell me in terms of efficiency, computation time/clock rate,power consumption etc.

Those would be design dependent. If you had the same design for both, then maybe you could compare. But you usually create the design to fit your requirements.

- - - Updated - - -

From previous experience, chip choice is done with the following considerations (in this order):
1. Does the chip have the IOs we need, usually looking at the Tranceivers first.
2. Does it have enough block ram/DSPs and logic.
3. Does it fit with the cost plan
4. Do we have experience with Xilinx/Altera

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
#4 is often #1.

Would you generally agree that Altera/Intel and Xilinx are fairly similar in the midrange? On the low end Xilinx doesn't compete with MAX10 and on the high end Altera's SOC is weaker than Zynq?

#4 is often #1.

Would you generally agree that Altera/Intel and Xilinx are fairly similar in the midrange? On the low end Xilinx doesn't compete with MAX10 and on the high end Altera's SOC is weaker than Zynq?

Altera SOCs never took off. They were a response to the successful Zync, and Altera basically orphaned it after no one bought it (Cyclone SOC). There were plans for a Stratix SOC but that got cancelled as the Intel join up came along.
Whats annoying is Xilinx are generally quicker to market with faster and better GTs etc, hence why they often get adopted, but their tools have never been as good as Altera's.

I think we've had this discussion before but for the midrange designs I do I much prefer Vivado and its full integration (FPGA is about 1/4 of my job).

I took an Altera design for the first time since Max+II was appalled by its poor Modelsim integration (by poor I mean it didn't instantly work as it does in Vivado). I found myself manually editing scripts to get a simulation to run - something I haven't done in a decade of work with Xilinx and something that I think should be handled by any decent tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back