Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

65nm bonding and pad size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franck6367

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

In our lab, we are going to design with 65nm technology. I'm responsible of a team who's in charge of microelectronics integration. We'll have to bond on pad in 65nm technology and I have no idea for the pads size. We allready "wedge bonded" many and many chips with pad size around 100x80um but with 65nm I wonder what are the constraints. Wedge bonding is still suitable? Ball Bonding is necessary?

Thanks for your reply

Perhaps stating the obvious now, but the pad size does not necessarily scale with the geometry per se. Pad sizes can definitely be smaller than 100x80 . Are you in control over the bonding process in your lab? If there are constraints on e.g. ball size or wedge size, why not do larger pads on the silicon?

Perhaps stating the obvious now, but the pad size does not necessarily scale with the geometry per se. Pad sizes can definitely be smaller than 100x80 . Are you in control over the bonding process in your lab? If there are constraints on e.g. ball size or wedge size, why not do larger pads on the silicon?

Generally designers make as tiny as possible the size of the pads. It's the reason why I'm looking for informations to take part of the design on this point. What I found is when the size of the pad goes down, the best way is the wedge bonding, wire diameter mini is 17um (for one supplier, I didn't look forward).

Bond pads are sized not only for assembly but also wafer probe. Are you going to be doing wafer level probe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back