Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lead Acid + Super-Capacitor + DC/DC Converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

emaq

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is it possible to combine lead-acid batteries with super-capacitor cells in a DC-DC converter? I have gone through few research articles at IEEE but could not find a simple practical system for EVs.

What I need is to maintain the lead-acid battery capacity when high current is drawn (Peukert Law) and, that current should be supplied by the super-capacitor bank. All this should be combined in a 3kW DC-DC converter for Vin = 24V and Vout = 60V.

Any suggestion for design or reference to some research article with measurement results or, reference design will be appreciated.

Check the data sheets on your super caps - only the very best ones - read expensive - have low internal ESR.

for 3kW 24Vin this is 125 amps, for a super cap to supply this efficiently its total ESR will have to be 6.4milli-ohm for 100 watt internal dissipation

let me know if you find a combination of paralleled super caps that can do this

even at 50A from the super caps and 10W internal this is 4 m-ohm

"Super" caps are not that super ....

To produce your desired power and step-up ratio, you'll probably need to make the boost converter draw some supply current at all times. Input filtering may provide only slight benefit.

Here is a simulation. 24V supply. Output is 60V @ 50A.

boost converter clk-driv 24VDC supply to 60VDC 50A.png

Scope traces show it's possible to adjust frequency and duty cycle so that supply current doesn't shut off entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.