Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Processor overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

VTI_16V

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello guys... I have a B&G zeus2 marine chartplotter which is shutting down in the summer on the direct sunlight... Looks like the processor is overheating and shutting down (i compared temperatures with the other one which works ok)... The problem is that everything is hermetically enclosed, bucause it is waterproof... So i suppose that adding a fan inside wont help, because it is enclosed... Also not so sure about regular heatsink, do you have some good idea that i could try to implement? Thank you :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 149

first, put it in the shade

then put a fan on the hot spot
there is some spot somewhere on the case that is warmer than the rest.
it may not be easy to find, so put a fan on it

put it on some feet, so air can circulate on all four sides - use the fan toe aid that circulation

even sealed, a fan will circulate the air and the overheating IC will be cooler

what was the temperature difference between the two machines?
what else is different about them?

Possible options:

* Attach a large heatsink which has many fins. To fasten it to the enclosure you may need a high-tech adhesive which is thermally conductive. Or use clamps, etc.

* Peltier cooling. Expect it to draw lots of electric power, as described in previous discussions at this forum.

wwfeldman - unfortunatly i can't because it is a chartplotter which has its place in the navigation table outside with other instruments, power cable, network cable, etc. and i can't move it... If it was my boat i could maybe put a fan in the table, but boat is for charter and thoose things are out of options... This one is reaching 55 C degrees on my table, while the other one is working steady around 40... Both are identical, but good question, i don't know why this one is working on higher temperature...

BrattheRad --- omg i didn't even know that theese things exist (I am still newbie in electronics, pardon me)... I took a quick look at peltier coolers and this could be a solution... I found some of them working on 12V and 5V with the acceptable dimensions... The boat is on 12V (14.2 max with battery charger running), but as i understood i could go with buck converter lets say to 5V output (with enough Amperes) and 12V peltier with good heatsink? Of course that i would experiment which voltage to peltier is enough for cool down the processor, but it shouldn't be a problem connecting 12V peltier to for example buck dc with 5V output if i see that effect is good enough?

This one is reaching 55 C degrees on my table, while the other one is working steady around 40....

You need to tell us the difference in the two environments before we can make out some sense of the two readings.

Then also interchange the two and see the temp rise. That will also give us some hints...

There are IR non-contact thermometers that can be used to pin point the source of heat. If you have an IR camera, that is still better.

If you do not have space for a good heat sink, consider using a heat pipe... (they are passive items and do not need power)

A decent fan with a decent heat sink can do wonders in many cases like this...

There are no differences, both of them were examined at my desk at the same time, it is shutting down because of the temperature during the summer here in croatia can get 40 degrees, so you can imagine what happens when it stands on direct sunlight for hours... I ordered peltier, so i'm going to try with it :)... Thanks

ordered peltier, so i'm going to try with it :)... Thanks

Good that you found a solution. You need to estimate the heat being produced by the device and how to transport this heat to elsewhere. You may still need a good heat sink on the Peltier device.

Maybe water cooling is possible? Can you pump water on the enclosure? Or even hang a bag overhead and drip water onto it. A bagful of ice works for a time.
Lay thin plastic film on the unit so salt water doesn't corrode it. Shape the low end into a drain funnel.

There are no differences, both of them were examined at my desk at the same time, it is shutting down because of the temperature during the summer here in croatia can get 40 degrees, so you can imagine what happens when it stands on direct sunlight for hours... I ordered peltier, so i'm going to try with it :)... Thanks

now that its not summer, is it working ok?

the water cooling idea works if the case is sealed for water
you may want to look out for condensation inside if the water cooling is cool enough,
such as a water bath with a little ice that you can replace as it melts?

now that its not summer, is it working ok?

I am not so fortunate; inside temp in winter (Dec-Jan is the coldest in my part of the world) around 27-30C (outside it can be 40C in direct sun). In summer, inside temp is around 35-38C and the outside temp can be around 50C (it can get upto 60C some days).

I have never been to Croatia but Trieste (in Italy; not too far from Croatia) is very pleasant in the summer. Electronics should not shut down at 40C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back