Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FPGA stratix III vs Artix 7 vs kintex 7, which one is faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daskk62

I want to design an array multiplier using verilog and need to dump it into FPGA, out of stratix III, Artix 7, and kintex 7, which FPGA I need to select, so that computation time of the verilog code of array multiplier will be less.

Hello,

as far as I understood you correctly - you waana design a matrix multiplier (2 dimensional arrays). You don't give many important assumptuions related to your design. We don't know how big can this matrices be? We aslo don't know how is type of data in these matrices - are them fixed-point or floating-point numbers. You are trying compare three different serires of FPGA (even from different vendors), it is a bit like comparing apples to oranges. From these three series Kintex-7 is the biggest one - in sense of having the biggest number of hardware multipliers and DSP block (which are basic construction material of such design). If biggest dimension of input matrices are not enormously big it could be to shoot from cannon to fly.

Give your assumptions to this design. It may to show that you can do this project efficiently on smaller FPGAs (end many times cheaper than these you list).

Regards

Thanks, but my question is, suppose I have some functionality (for the time being I am ignoring the type of operation) and I want to implement the functionality to each the three different FPGAs. Out of the three FPGAs, which one will take less time to execute the functionality (assume the same data is given to the function for each of the FPGAs)

Thanks, but my question is, suppose I have some functionality (for the time being I am ignoring the type of operation) and I want to implement the functionality to each the three different FPGAs. Out of the three FPGAs, which one will take less time to execute the functionality (assume the same data is given to the function for each of the FPGAs)

Hello,

it is impossible to answert such question. If you don't specify type of operations - I am citating:
(for the time being I am ignoring the type of operation)

You list three diferent families of FPGA's from two different vendors (them differ on gates level). It depends of your design and specific HDL language code (VHDL or Verilog). If you don't specify what operations it should be executed then nobody can tell how many time it can take.

The most likely (if your desifgn and code would be proper) there will be negligible differences between these three families of FPGAs.
It is possible that you don't need FPGA at all and you could use microcontroller :wink:

Regards

If you ran the same code at the same clock speed in all 3 FPGAs, it would take the same time in every FPGA.
They are not processors - they allow you to design hardware. And hardware will always take a fixed time to process, depending on how you design it.

Not sure about Stratix III, but the maximum frequency speed is higher on Kintex-7 related to Spartan-7.

This can be found on DC switching datasheet: DS189 for Spartan 7, DS182 for Kintex-7.

For example, maximum achievable speed for DSP48 on Spartan 7 is 550 MHz, while on Kintex-7 is 741 MHz. This of course, can be verified for all different logic blocks available (I/Os, BRAMs, ordinary logic, PLL, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back