Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Current Reference in Sub-Threshold region

Status
Not open for further replies.

gokulpgk

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Everyone,

I am trying to design the attached circuit to generate the temperature independent PTAT current reference.

Is it advisable to design the current mirrors in the Sub-Threshold region?

(Supply Voltage = 1.8V and Threshold voltage of transistors = 0.3V).

Current_Reference.PNG

Probably it is possible to operate at the edge of the threshold voltage, but deep sub-threshold is not recommended becasue of worse matching between the circuit and the output current mirror. Question is how much area you have, do you have a limit?
Stacked diodes are not too good (Mp1 and Mp2) in any design, rather use 1 diode and solve the cascode output with extra circuitry. I mean keep the output cascode device (Mp6) and generate its bias voltage with other current mirrors + PMOS diode, which mirrors aren't cascoded. It would help a lot on spare drain-source voltages and designed device Vdsat voltages could be higher.

Probably it is possible to operate at the edge of the threshold voltage, but deep sub-threshold is not recommended becasue of worse matching between the circuit and the output current mirror. Question is how much area you have, do you have a limit?
Stacked diodes are not too good (Mp1 and Mp2) in any design, rather use 1 diode and solve the cascode output with extra circuitry. I mean keep the output cascode device (Mp6) and generate its bias voltage with other current mirrors + PMOS diode, which mirrors aren't cascoded. It would help a lot on spare drain-source voltages and designed device Vdsat voltages could be higher.

Hi,

Thank you very much for your support.

I do not have a limit in my area but I have a limit in the power consumption.

Extra circuitry doesn't need big consumption, rather area. And it is more effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back