Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is needed impedance matching for mixer diodes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mury

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I would like to design rat-race mixer with 2 diodes. There is a lot of materials, but I didn't read any stuff around matching diodes.

Is it needed or not? I saw both types - 1, diode is on rat race without any microstripe line 2, diode is shifted from rat-race with some matching.

Does it depend on biasing, LO power, RF power or some characteristical values of diode?

Thank you for your help.

- - - Updated - - -

smesovac-24.jpg Here is some example for first type - on rat-race and here is second type with matching Rat-Race_MW_Mixer.gif.

I would like to design it for 24 GHz - but is there something different for 2,4GHz; 5,8Ghz or 24GHz from this point of view?

Matching, if is well done and tuned, will decrease the insertion loss of the mixer.
If is not designed well the mixer may have higher insertion loss compared with no matching at all.
The matching circuit will make the mixer narrowband, when with no matching the mixer has broader bandwidth.

Thank you vfone. Do you know how to simulate diode in CST? Problem is I have 2 spice files - for diode and for package, how to make one file from that?

Thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.