Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switch +/- 15v supply for audio preamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

benbiles

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi ,

i'm trying to find a low power solution to switch +/-5v on/off with daisy chained SPI to switch on/off TI PGA2500 preamp prototypes i'm designing.
I already have SPI running to the PGA2500 IC's for other control ( phantom power switch using optomos )
The optomos switch phantom from GPO pin controlled by SPI in the PGA's but GPO pins no use if the PGA is switched off !

Ideally the logic / SPI would be isolated from the power rails to isolate noise as the power is ultra low noise.

The PGA2500's use +/-40mA Maximum at 5v

SPI controlled SPDT switch that can cope with +/-rails ?
small relay with a SPI logic switch IC ?

I'm trying avoid running 8 logic lines from the MC to all the preamp cards and use the SPI bus.

Ideally the SPI SPDT thing I'm looking for could handle +/-15v rails to.
That way I could switch on / off other line drivers and headphone amps I have in the design.

any ideas would be really welcome :)

- - - Updated - - -

2nd thoughts , SPI controlled switch would not be daisy chained with PGA2500. PGA2500 is CS pin active low so some kind of SPI controlled 8 channel SPDT IC that can switch +/- rails that's active on CS line high ?
I should also say I have 8 dual rails to switch on and off.

wait.. I just need to run a 2nd CS line from MC to select the chip. forgot how to use SPI for a min. !

so far I can find MAX335 , a Serial Controlled, 8-Channel SPST Switch that can be daisy chained.

from the data sheet...
"All switches conduct equally in either direction, and on-resistance (100Ω) is constant over the analog signal range."

using ohms law and switching 5v this is maximum 50mA load on each switch with +/-5v supply? or its 100mA since the power supply would be +/-5v ( 10v ) ?

Is this kind of device something should be considered for power ? or its meant to be used for switching analogue signals only ?

- - - Updated - - -

space saving x4 optomos with resistor Panasonic AQS221FR2S is very expensive !

50 mA across 100 ohms would yield a voltage drop of 5 volts. Worse, the power dissipation, with all the channels enabled, would be 2 watts. I haven't seen the device ratings, but unless it is an IC package specifically designed with thermal enhancements, I don't think it would survive.

The switch that you choose, whether solid state or relay, should have -I would say- a resistance in the neighborhood of 1 or 2 ohms.

I'm thinking of trying,

MCP23S17 I/O Expander with spi Interface. 25mA per GPO.

1 x optoMos CPC1008N for each + & - rail.

The CPC1008N says On-Resistance of ( typical 4.8ohm max 8ohm )
the part claims it can sustain 120mA at 80c , i'll need 38mA @ 5v

I found CPC1008N available cheap.

do you think that will work ?

Do you need isolation between SPI and supply switches? If not, there are simpler solutions than optoMOS.

Yes I need to isolate the digital from the preamp. I can isolate the GPO lines or SPI lines instead ?

I could send 8 logic lines from MCU though something like Si8380P for isolation.

I'm not sure what to make the switches with since there is negative voltage.

Can I do this with N or P channel mosfet array ?

I don't really like the idea of switching on/off the ground to the preamp card with the N channel.
maybe that could shut off both rails with 1 x N channel mosfet since there would be no return path to Ov?

Otherwise 1 x P channel for each rail ? how about the negative voltage though ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back