Level

Difference circuit not acting as expected

Hello,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Circuit.PNG 
Views:	9 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	156563
    I am trying to create a simple difference circuit using an op-amp (X-Y), but the output is not what I expect. The figure above is a simplified block diagram of the circuit. I am feeding two signals into a stand alone phase comparator, and I need to subtract the two output. In this case, R1 and Rf are equal at 1K for a gain of 1.
    When I test the difference circuit alone, at DC it works as expected using variable power supplies. However, when I hook up the difference circuit into the circuit above, i get a strange result.

Name:	ACdifference.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	500.9 KB 
ID:	156560
    Ignore the yellow trace. The blue trace is the probing the D output directly out of the phase comparator. The Purple trace is probing the U output directly out of the comparator. The red trace is the Oscilloscope's own math function performing D-U. The green trace is the output from the difference circuit following the phase comparator. The math function (when not zero) calculates a value ~.75V. However, the output from the difference circuit is so small, and has such a large DC offset (>3V), that just to see any difference computation happening i had to AC couple the signal and move to 50mV / division. Why do you think my difference circuit is behaving this way?
    Just a note on the phase comparator. The part number: MCK12140DG. Perhaps I should be buffering the inputs?

Name:	comparitor.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	175.0 KB 
ID:	156564

Thanks in advance,
    Sami

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 5
    Helped
    1037 / 1037
    Level

Re: Difference circuit not acting as expected

You don’t really give us a lot of information. Like WHAT your opamp is—Don’t you think that’s an important bit of information? And Power supplies? And you know that ECL needs to be terminated, right? I don’t see that.

•   AltAdvertisement

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Awards:
    Most Frequent Poster 3rd Helpful Member

Helped
    3631 / 3631
    Level

Hi,

It seems you work with digital signals. If so, then use ICs designed for digital operation.
    (An OPAMP is designed fir analog signals and thus not the best choice for digital signals. Expect distorted rise fall signals, ringing, delays caused by saturated input and/or output state)

Use digital logic ICs and/or a comparator.

Klaus
    Please don´t contact me via PM, because there is no time to respond to them. No friend requests. Thank you.

•   AltAdvertisement

Super Moderator
    Awards:
    1st Helpful Member

Helped
    13911 / 13911
    Level

Looks like single supply OP in saturation.

--[[ ]]--