Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using Arduino-Compatible SMD Microcontrollers in Custom PCB Designs

Status
Not open for further replies.

decaf14

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

I wasn't sure whether I should post this to the microcontroller forum or the PCB design forum. I'm currently prototyping an analog circuit design and using an arduino for a simple task: reading my circuit output and digitally processing the signal. I also do some basic digital signal processing on it (Bandpass Filter, averaging, etc...).

I would like to get started with a PCB containing the microcontroller (preferably the NRF52832) and the analog circuitry all on the same board as a proof-of-concept for my masters thesis. However, I do not know where to begin and would appreciate some guidance as this is not my traditional field of expertise. I have a *rough* plan in my head below.

I was planning on using some available github code to "hack" the NRF52832 into thinking it's an adafruit feather NRF52832. From there, I would *ideally* just wire in to my NRF52832 with a segger j-link and upload the firmware and that would be that (never done this before but have read around online). This sounds Naive, though.

- Are there any good guides someone could recommend for custom PCB designs with onboard arduiono microcontrollers?
- Is the NRF52832 suited for this task or is there an easier microcontroller that's standard or preferable for arduino-based projects? Searching "Arduino SMD microntroller" just yields the SMD version of an arduino breakout board. I find it's generally best to see what people who have done this before think. I'm also considering the BGx13p Bluetooth Express as it's a replacement for the simblee. https://www.silabs.com/products/dev...bluetooth/bgx13p-bluetooth-xpress-starter-kit
- Any general advice/questions/comments/concerns? Don't worry; I've put my chain mail on for the incoming Arduino-hate missiles :). I know; Professionals use C. I'll get there soon hopefully.

Thank you all for your time.

Hi,

Draw a block diagram.
And please ask one question only .... not a bunch. I don't know where to start.

Klaus

Hi,

Draw a block diagram.
And please ask one question only .... not a bunch. I don't know where to start.

Klaus

Hi Klaus,

Thanks for your response. A block diagram is a good idea. I've attached a block diagram of the digital part of my system.

Simply put: I'd like advice on choosing an arduino-compatible microcontroller and uploading firmware to said microcontroller. Bluetooth compatability would be nice, but not 100% neccesary. I'd also appreciate any general advice on accomplishing my task if you think I should pick a totally different route. I'm a greenhorn in the digital world. Sorry for the confusion. Let me know if this diagram helps or if anything else would help.

Hello all,

- Are there any good guides someone could recommend for custom PCB designs with onboard arduiono microcontrollers?

Thank you all for your time.

Hello,

you can use STM32 MCUs in arduino IDE. See these links:

https://github.com/stm32duino/wiki/wiki/Getting-Started

https://www.instructables.com/id/Getting-Started-With-Stm32-Using-Arduino-IDE/

You can use very popular "Blue pill" board (based on STM32F103x MCU - it is based on ARM Cortex-M3). Here you have an example of such board, with schematics

https://bv3ue.blogspot.com/2018/04/black-pillstm32f103c8t6-to-work-with.html

If you will look for, you should find many similiar boards (with schematics) in internet.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back