Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Biasing an array of current steering DACs

Status
Not open for further replies.

big_fudge98

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I would like to bias an array of 128 current steering DAC's. I have made a current source as well. How would I bias 128 DAC's using this single current source? If I bias all 128 directly, would the added capacitance create startup issues?

i think you need to provide a fixed known current to each DAC individually
so that the behavior of one DAC does not effect the behavior of another DAC

more capacitance will likely increase start time

And even within one DAC, make sure that the voltage drop along the ground net, feeding the current sources, does ot create too large Vgs mismatch across current sources.

Yes. But can I directly mirror currents to 128 DAC's from the current source? Or should I do it in stages?

You can mirror the current with 128 branches. It won't be worse from mismatch and start-up viewpoints and actually the area will be smaller compared to cascaded NMOS/PMOS mirror stages.
If you want very fast and small DAC choose a segmented one.

Thanks.
What exactly is the 'segmented' one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back