Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MOSFET gate driver trasformer isolated

Status
Not open for further replies.

asimov_18

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I was working on my old LCD TV ccfl power supply. Incidentally the TV was repaired by a non authorized TV repaier technician and now was problem associted with CCFL gate driver, I traced the circuit diagram for isolated gate driver for the MOSFET to be similar to the image attached. however I am unable to read the components value from the board as they were damaged. Can anyonw help me analyse this circuit from texas instrument website so a to calculate rough or approximate values for this gate driver. FYI the TV was a toshiba 40BP20 serries and I don't have service manual or schematic of the exact circuit. The power supply has a part number PSIV201141A V71A00025300

URL: https://e2e.ti.com/blogs_/b/powerho...n?hootPostID=44c899267481bcf404f3b1e6581e830f

gate driver.png

The value of CB will depend on the primary inductance. You will need to tell the primary and secondary inductances, but we presume its 1:1.
The Q1, Q2 can be any 40V rated PNP of the “high gain at high IC “ type …eg the ones from diodes.com
It is unfortunate that the secondary damping resistor has been placed so it can give a high VEB voltage on the PNP, and therefore damage it……it should not be placed in this way.
Also, it really needs a primary side damping resistor to damp out LC ringing. But again we need the primary inductance to tell this….the damping resistor is usually about SQRT(Lp/CB).

Looking at the circuit , i suspect damage due to undamped LC ringing, or the too-high VEB on the PNP as discussed.

The zeners should be just say a volt or two below the VGS max of the FETs

- - - Updated - - -

The gate-source resistor... say 10k or so...after all, you have the PNP turn-off circuit.
The diodes, makes them 1N4148's or similar....fast .....
The base resistor.....depends on the hfe of your chosen PNP....just make it low enough to give enough IC for quick-enough turn off......say 510R or so to start.

The red capacitors...these are y caps...just leave them off altogether, they are for EMC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back