Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Less noisy alternative to servo. Muscle / nitinol wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

perik

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I´m looking for a less noisy alternative to using servos for a project and I was thinking of using musclewires (Flexinol / nitinol wire) as an replacement. I havnt worked with musclewires before and wonder if this is possible or if they are very slow (I know they are driven by heat so slow cooling might be a problem)

Basically my project need to pull and push a small weight with a thin ironstick as arm. I need something that goes two ways. When I applies current to it I want it to pull and when I decrease the current again I want it to gradually go back depending on the current. Im using a pwm signal from my raspberry pi to control the current.

I wounder if anyone has some experience with doing the same? Basically replacing a servo with musclewire?

For example this one:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12096

I guess the thinner the wire the faster it reacts since it cools off faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back