Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SD Card Identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sujeer

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How sd host controller knows whether a SD card is put in the connector slot

In the first place by reading the detect switch.

Reactions: Sujeer

Sujeer

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
In the first place by reading the detect switch.

But there is no physical pin in SD card for this purpose. Then how the detect switch will set, when SD card is inserted in the connector :thinker:

I have one more doubt, how processor inform sd host controller that it want to delete a particular folder in the sd card.

That is usually dealt with by the operating system but is also depends on the way the SD card is formatted. Deleting a file generally means looking up its name in a directory, finding its allocation table (FAT) entry then marking the location as re-usable. Files are not normally deleted but the space they are stored is made available for another file to occupy.

Brian.

Actually I am thinking in pin level transaction perspective. The master side (Processor side) of sd host controller may have an AXI interface or a generic 32 bit interface. It can pass a read request and write request, but how it can pass a delete request to the sd host controller? :sad:

You are confusing the electronic level and the filing system levels. There are only two electronic operations, read bits and write bits, they apply whatever operations you want to achieve. When considering files you have think in terms of structures of data and how to manipulate them. There are still R/W operations but you have to set read addresses to access the structures, for example the file directory, and based on what you read, then perform write operations to free the file addresses. There is no byte level operation to delete any file.

Brian.

Reactions: Sujeer

Sujeer

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I am a verification engineer (fresher). I want to verify a SD host controller(which is a black box to me). I am thinking how can i trigger a delete sequence of the SD host controller

files are logical structures; they exist only in software. When you go to the hardware, you see no files, just blocks of data. However, some devices can at the low level work at the character or byte level.

The mapping between a file and a group of blocks is done at the software and also partly at the controller level. That is the reason a given hardware can be formatted for different types of filesystems.

When you delete a file, you just mark the corresponding blocks as free. Much of this information is written on the directory itself (which is itself a file) in terms of a chain of block numbers.

The controller and the operating system talk via the device driver. Therefore first thing first: you need to get into the depths of the device driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back