Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it a transistor or a mosfet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

i200yrs

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all again and good day....I need some advice from the attach drawing, can someone please tell me if Q130 is a transistor or mosfet? If so, what pin is pin1,2,3? Hoping for your continual support....thanks

TG179.JPG

Hi,

This is not a true schematic.
And additionally the function is not obvious.

I recommend to read the documentation to the "schematic" or contact the author.

All in all this does not look very professionally, I'd not rely on such "bad" informations.

Klaus

My apology that I wasn't able to mentioned early....I dont have schematic diagram ... I did trace and sketch the drawing myself...I can do more sketching if the drawing is not complete to conclude....thanks

Hi,

From post#2:
And additionally the function is not obvious.
Is the expected function so secret that you can't explain?

Klaus

Hi,

From post#2:

Is the expected function so secret that you can't explain?

Klaus

It acts like electronic switch that turns on/off the bulb. It's either mosfet or transistor. Need more opinions from experts...thanks in advance.

I would be inclined to think that this is an overvoltage
warning light and if true, then I would pick a PNP BJT
for the function with emitter to the LT1057, base to
the resistor/zener/resistor and collector to the DG408 /
bulb leg. Then when emitter goes above base by 0.7V
you light the bulb, and the zener can be picked for a
roughly-right fault threshold.

Why the DG408 is there at all, is a mystery (maybe a
secondary defeat / enable to the crude comparison).

I would be inclined to think that this is an overvoltage
warning light and if true, then I would pick a PNP BJT
for the function with emitter to the LT1057, base to
the resistor/zener/resistor and collector to the DG408 /
bulb leg. Then when emitter goes above base by 0.7V
you light the bulb, and the zener can be picked for a
roughly-right fault threshold.

Why the DG408 is there at all, is a mystery (maybe a
secondary defeat / enable to the crude comparison).

The original part actual is shown in the image below. I found it shorted (pin2 & pin3). The problem is I couldn't find that component online. Even datasheet is hard to find. Thus I am now having trouble replacing this part the reason I brought it up here. Hoping someone can help me figure out suitable replacement to repair the board. Thanks.

Quantox_Topic.JPG

Hi,

You have a PCB, maybe from a known device with known vendor and article name...with parts assembled, with part numbers printed on it...
You hide a lot of informations but want us to solve the riddle of post#1.

Klaus

Really shorted or low resistance? Could be a JFET and not defective.

Really shorted or low resistance? Could be a JFET and not defective.

I tried removed and discharged all pins by shorting it...But the low-ohm still remain about 10 ohms. And i believe it can't be middle pin and 3rd pin got low ohm in TO-92 right?

Last edited:

There are many annoying points with this thread
- cross posting an old question without at least referring to the previous thread
- not giving appropriate information, e.g. the TO92 photo, from the start. Your pin numbers are confused, unfortunately.

The pin assignment matches popular PJFETs like J174, it could be a lower ohmic switch JFET variant. Can be easily verified by identifying the gate diode junction and switch opening with reversed gate bias. You would first check for P or N polarity.

That's still a guess, but your considerations are incomplete without checking the most obvious explanation.

There are many annoying points with this thread
- cross posting an old question without at least referring to the previous thread
- not giving appropriate information, e.g. the TO92 photo, from the start. Your pin numbers are confused, unfortunately.

The pin assignment matches popular PJFETs like J174, it could be a lower ohmic switch JFET variant. Can be easily verified by identifying the gate diode junction and switch opening with reversed gate bias. You would first check for P or N polarity.

That's still a guess, but your considerations are incomplete without checking the most obvious explanation.

Really my apology FvM...sorry you guys confused my information and some incomplete...Do you want me to trace more or any data you requires please enumerate to me and i try my best to provide...thanks

On the other hand, do you agree that JFET 3 pins should be open to each other after discharge (discharge means by shorting all pins)? Because the original component maintain low-ohm (10ohms) even after discharged...thanks again.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for reminder...I made the problem worst after replacing with TN0604N3...which means my replacement is not correct...The reason i brought it up again...thanks a lot

Last edited:

On the other hand, do you agree that JFET 3 pins should be open to each other after discharge (discharge means by shorting all pins)? Because the original component maintain low-ohm (10ohms) even after discharged
No, JFET is depletion mode FET, low resistance ("on") with zero gate voltage and off with reversed gate bias, positive voltage for PFET and negative voltage for NFET.

Hope that you have a DMM

Start with the information on the following page:

https://engineeringtutorial.com/testing-a-transistor-with-a-digital-multimeter/

There are other web pages showing how to test Mosfets, JFets, etc.

Or invest in something like this. This is only an example, there are MANY similar testers on Amazon, Ebay, Alibaba, etc. I have one, and it has been a real time-saver to identify unknown components.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...ter.TRS0&_nkw=transistor+tester&_sacat=181939

No, JFET is depletion mode FET, low resistance ("on") with zero gate voltage and off with reversed gate bias, positive voltage for PFET and negative voltage for NFET.

Thanks for the inputs...but the low-ohm pins are the middle pin and the 3rd pin...Which based from JFET TO-92 pin configuration the pins are Source and Gate...So it should not read low-ohm, right? thanks

There are FETs with different pin mapping available. Follow the suggestions in post #15 and consider all measurement information.

There are FETs with different pin mapping available. Follow the suggestions in post #15 and consider all measurement information.

Ok FvM...I will google more about the pin configuration...And yes i believe you're right...This part is misdiagnosed. The problem is, I disposed the part already into scrap bin and thrown away....can't get it back again. Can you or anyone can suggest a replacement please :sad:?

Status
Not open for further replies.