Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Will we get tombstoning of this capacitor and resistor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Hi,
Please advise if we will get “tombstoning” if we remove the thermal reliefs to the pads of the following components..

The component ringed in yellow is an 1812 ceramic capacitor.
The component ringed in red is a 2010 chip resistor.

We want to simply merge the left hand pads of these components completely into the surrounding thermal copper pour. (for better cooling of the components). However, as you can see, the right hand pads of these components have less copper attached to them. If we merge the left hand pads completely into the thermal copper pours, then will the right hand pads heat up more during the SMT soldering process, resulting in the components tombstoning?

Attachments

• tombstone_1.jpg
    tombstone_1.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 141

I don't know about your SMT assembly process (that's who
ought to be asked, because there's probably a good bit of
specifics involved) but I can tell you that capacitor lands
that are fully part of a ground plane make rework and hand
assembly a real problem.

You "want to", OK, but why? What's the upside? Micro-ohms?

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Seems unlikely if it is solder stencil and oven ...

T

There should not be a problem of tombstoning, if we go according to the specifications, but it will again depend on the soldering process you adapt. Also, if the necessity is not too high, I would rather suggest to keep the thermal relief.

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back