Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best Method to watch a variable dynamically

Status
Not open for further replies.

electronicsman

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In microchip i want to watch a variable which I know should change like a sine wave. What is the best method to do that? If i put a break point i can only see it at only some instants of time. I want to monitor each and every change on a kind of screen. What is the method i should follow? Please advise.

Hi,

Your post is a bunch of riddles.

"Microchip" is a brand name...but I assume you are talking
* about a software.. it can be a windows software, a Linux software, or any other OS, maybe you are talking about software you have written on your own...
* about a specific chip. Maybe a Microcontroller. AVR, PIC, DSPIC or whatever they produce...

Your description sounds as if you are talking about some kind of debugger.
For sure - depending on what debugger you are talking about - it may output variable values as integer, as hex, as decimal on the monitor, or it may be able to write the values to a file...
Maybe it is able to show it like a scope picture...

sinewave.. this does not tell much either. It may be a 1MHz sine with 100 points per fullwave. It can be 50Hz with 8 points per fullwave or anything else.

Variable: could be an 8 bit value, or a 32 bit integer, any bit width fixed point or a floating point....

Maybe the straight forward solution is to use a DAC and a scope....

Klaus

Previous posts make be guess that you are referring to dsPIC debugging. Besides all open points addressed by KlausST, Microchip RealICE debugger has a data capture feature that might achieve what you want. It's not available with the low end (PICkit, ICD) debuggers.

Sorry it is dspic33EP256MC506 micro controller. I am using Pickit3 debugger and the variable is a 16bit integer. The sine wave frequency maximum it could go to is 500Hz. The software is for running the motor. I have not checked if it can write to a file. That will be a useful feature. The board does not have a DAC. The board is MCLV-2 board.

Hi,

if the sine frequency is 500Hz and most probably you have more than 3 points per fullwave, this means more than 1500 values per second.
Obviously one can not verify them by looking at the numeric values online.

I see these possible solutions:
* writing to a file and verfy tehm later
* ouput the values via UART, USB (or whatever interface you have) to a PC and write your own validation software
* Add a DAC and verify the analog signals with a digital scope.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back