Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Output Impedance Of a Triple cascode

Status
Not open for further replies.

circuitking

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, What is the output impedance seen at the drain of the third transistor in the below figure.
Should Rout3 > Rout2 ? at DC and at higher frequencies, for example 50GHz

Thanks in advance

outputImpTripleStack.PNG

Last edited:

Even a simple model of "real Zout" at 50 GHz has to consider at least all transistor capacitances.

Last edited:

Even a simple model of "real Zout" at 50 GHz has to consider at least all transistor capacitances.

The problem I have is that when I have just a cascode connection, the circuit is stable but when I connect 3 or 4 transistors in the stack it is not stable anymore. The reason I see is the real part of output impedance of the stack is negative.

- - - Updated - - -

real(Zout3) is not equal to Rout3.
Can you surely understand Rout2 ?

Yeah now I see. In gain formula gm*r0 (at DC), the r0 is Rout3 and not real(Zout3).

The problem I have is that when I have just a cascode connection, the circuit is stable but when I connect 3 or 4 transistors in the stack it is not stable anymore. The reason I see is the real part of output impedance of the stack is negative.
Yes, you can see it, if you calculate the impedance with sufficient complex model.

Negative real part is due to Y12.

You don’t care about feedback path of each MOSFET at all.

Surely learn very basic things before EDA Tool Play which you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back