+ Post New Thread
    Newbie level 1

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

How to simulate finite charge applied to the gate of a FET in Synopsys TCAD

Hello, I am trying to simulate a small charged particle attached to the gate surface of a FET and see the effect of the charge. I want to define how much charge (i.e: 1.6e-19 C) I will give to that small region attached to the gate. I have tried using the fixed charge mentioned in the manual, but I get the same results for various amount of charge. I need help with the code.

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 3

Helped
    292 / 292
    Level

Re: How to simulate finite charge applied to the gate of a FET in Synopsys TCAD

I don't know anything about that simulation environment but why not a current source supplying a pulse. Charge = current*time. Though simulating one electron and expecting results is bold....

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 2
    Achievements:
    7 years registered

Helped
    181 / 181
    Level

Re: How to simulate finite charge applied to the gate of a FET in Synopsys TCAD

If you place a charge at the "gate surface" - i.e. at the gate and the gate dielectric interface (or inside the gate or at any other surface of the gate electrode), it will be screened by free carriers in the gate material.
    You won't see any effect on any electrical characteristics.

But if you place it at the gate dielectric - semiconductor interface - you will see an effects (such as Vt shift), proportional to charge value.

Check with your TCAD tool manual, where you place the charge.

--[[ ]]--