Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to select ac to dc adapter for a given device

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravi.2k17

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,

I have an electronics devices with required input dc rating 24v -- 1 amp
however a got a ac to dc adapter with output dc rating 12v -- 2 amp will this adopter work for my device ? do we need to see wattage (V * I) of a device while deciding its compatible adopter? can i use any adapter as long as its output watts are same as input dc watts of my device ? eg what about 6V -- 4Amp ???

thanks

Hi,

If your application needs 24V then your adapter needs to ouput 24V.
--> adapter voltage rating needs to be 24V +/- some tolerance. (no 12V no 6V no other voltage)

If your application draws 1A then your adapter needs to be able to deliver 1A. It is no probem if it can deliver more than 1A.
--> adapter current rating needs to be 1A or higher

Klaus

The voltage must match.
The current rating of the adapter must be equal to or greater than the device. More means you have a safety margin.

If the voltage and current ratings are sufficient, the power rating will also be sufficient but you can't exchange voltage for current or the opposite.

Brian.

The voltage must match.
The current rating of the adapter must be equal to or greater than the device. More means you have a safety margin.

If the voltage and current ratings are sufficient, the power rating will also be sufficient but you can't exchange voltage for current or the opposite.

Brian.

>> The current rating of the adapter must be equal to or greater than the device.
if current output is more than the required in adopter, will it not be risk of electronic device of burning? due to over load?

Hi
Ravi

You cant match the power by multiplying VxI. Current and voltage should match (Using slightly higher voltage or current device is the best practice)

- - - Updated - - -

Hi
Ravi

You cant match the power by multiplying VxI. Current and voltage should match (Using slightly higher voltage or current device is the best practice)

- - - Updated - - -

>> The current rating of the adapter must be equal to or greater than the device.
if current output is more than the required in adopter, will it not be risk of electronic device of burning? due to over load?

Suppose your equipment rated for 10VA, 10V and 1 A then your device never take more than 1 A if it is in a good condition. If any short circuit in your equipment should take care of your equipment input fuse mechanism.

Status
Not open for further replies.